Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

304L Stainless

SLJ

Has anyone had much luck with this stuff? The L is for low carbon (.03%) not lead. We have a part, 1/4 plate, that needs a profiling (2-d) cut through. Part of it will be full slot. The Iscar reps just pulled out after 3 days of trying without success. Tried their 1" 2fl. inserted mill and several end mill types. All had trouble getting rid of chips, and balling up. None lasted more than 3 or 4 parts. About 12" total cut length. Any Suggestions? frown.gif

Thanks

Steve

quote:

Any Suggestions?

Yeah; make it out of 303!

Just kidding, well... not really

Is it made out of 304L because it needs to be? Do you have any say or input into material selection?

Many design guys use 304 without thinking about it because it is one of those "buzzword" materials (like 6061-T6) that people love to spec without knowing how tough 304 is to machine.

If you are actually stuck with 304L I have had some success with solid carbide endmills with LOW surface footages and very wimpy axial DOC. You should probably plan on wasting the roughing endmill, just let it chatter; if it chips the tool, oh well, just keep running the chipped endmill for a rougher and hope that your finish endmill doesn't get notched by all the junk that the rough tool leaves behind.

Sorry

Thanks for the quick reply! Because of clamping araingment, the overhang would preclude such a small tool. I'll check if we have any 5/8 or 3/4 carbide cutters in stock. May have to give the part up to someone with a lazer. mad.gif

We machine quite a bite of this stuff. If we have a lot of material to remove, sometimes we just use a good grade cobalt corncib style roughing endmill, then come back with a carbide to finish with at around 200-300 sfm and .003-.005 fpt. We have also had some success with Dataflute carbide endmills in their SS series 3 flute with what they call a C11 coating. In some cases these have worked well for roughing operations running around 300 sfm and .0025 fpt. Hope this helps.

The tolerances are really fractional, just structural members. The real problem seems to be in taking a full width slot cut and the full 1/4" depth. It has trouble getting rid of chips, plus the scale is notching the tool at the top surface. The tool reps tried solid carbide while I was gone Thurs. and Fri, but at high speeds. We've tried the Iscar Heli mill with full line pressure air blast, but that didn't work either. The boss say's he's lost enough, get rid of it. redface.gif I guess that will be it then. Thanks for trying guys

Steve

Try looking at Hanita cutters. They are great. I have had great success running them in Stainless Steel's. I tried solutions my California rep suggested. That did not last long. I could tell the cutters could be pushed really hard, so I went at finding speeds/feeds on my own.

As I said, they are great cutters. Check out their web page .

Would a trochoidal approach help in this situation. A work-around could be to edit a pocket routine that does full cut trochoidal. It seems to me( by absolutely no means an expert on materials) that the problem could be lessened with this added chip evacuation type of path.

Take care...

• 7 months later...

Hi

Searched the forum for tips on cutting 304, and came up with this topic. Anyone have any more suggestions as to Chip load, pocketing stepover, or type of inserts. I will probably be using my 1" Iscar 2 flute for pocketing and my 1.25" Iscar 3 flute for the outer contour. Both with IC328 inserts. The parts are simple exhaust flanges 4" x 4" square .375 thick. I'm self taught so if possible use laymans terms.

Thanks

John

• 4 weeks later...