Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco Hsm performance pack

NaRbO

I recently downloaded the free trial of this software. Other than the adaptive clearing, does this software have any other benefits over X4? I didn't notice any different features in the finishing tool paths. MC has smoothing in the HS toolpaths and now also supports dual core.

Is their smoothing different or better in some way?

Basically, is this a waste of time if i'm running X4?

I agree with gcode.

Cimco had good material removal strategies in my opinion. Its worth at least your time to look in to. Its complicated at first but once you get used to it you realize how much control that you have. I am hoping that this is the direction that Mastercams Dynamic Milling is headed.

I had the opportunity to play with Dynamic Milling, Volumill, and Adaptive Clearing all at the same time. If you have some free time, I think that you ought to at least try it out.

I have been using Cimco's HSM for many years, and agree with Doug and Neurosis- It is much better than anything Mcam has right now. Even if you just use adaptive clearing, its worth the price, but all the other toolpaths calc much faster than mcam, and usually result in a smoother toolpath for high speed cutting. For instance, a mcam "waterline" vc Cimco "contour" surfacing path- on a complex surface with small stepovers, Cimco will calc the path in about 1/5 the time of mcam.

Adaptive clearing is very good at removing material and controlling tool engagement, whether you use small depth-big stepover- high feed, or large depth- small engagement- low feed paths. I highly recommend it. I and wish for the day when mcam makes it redundant, but its not there yet. Or, I wish Cimco made its own, complete, standalone package including 5-axis. Also, I have gotten much faster response from Cimco tech support- usually within 24 hrs.

• 2 years later...

Anyone still using Cimco HSM know how it compares to the most current High Speed Package MC has out now with X6?

Husker

Still does some stuff X6 does not. If you're doing parts clamped in a vise, where you're only machining looking down at the part, with open sides everywhere and nothing to avoid, X6's paths are great. If your part is in a Raptor, and you tilt it over 90 degrees on a 5 axis VMC, and need to remove as much stock as possible with core passes without ramming into the Raptor, that's where it's a lot easier with Cimco. Optirest with the stock model is a big step forward in this area though. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Still does some stuff X6 does not. If you're doing parts clamped in a vise, where you're only machining looking down at the part, with open sides everywhere and nothing to avoid, X6's paths are great. If your part is in a Raptor, and you tilt it over 90 degrees on a 5 axis VMC, and need to remove as much stock as possible with core passes without ramming into the Raptor, that's where it's a lot easier with Cimco. Optirest with the stock model is a big step forward in this area though. :thumbup:

Same went with Volumill "cough cough" ;):popo: