Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What Would Cause This To Happen?

quote:

You've never worked for a very large company have you? See Colin's post. It's not this easy or it would have already been done.

Correct. Largest one was(is) 700 people.

I guess I'm lucky that even the little 11-person mom and pop shop's around here are willing to put out for useful features.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You open an IGES file in MC, then save as an IGES file so you an open it in SpaceClaim to make it a solid. Nice process. Why wouldn't you just open the original IGES in SpaceClaim? Why? Because it doesn't suit your "bash MC agenda."

Thad

+1

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been using por-e iges files for years with out much problem at all. I have no reason to export them back to another software to make it a "solid", then to bring it back into MC as a solid, when I don't have the solids module in MC either... seems like a waste of time....also seems what JB is good at. cuckoo.gif

Just more of his trolling tactics

"I have no reason to export them back to another software to make it a "solid", then to bring it back into MC as a solid, when I don't have the solids module in MC either... seems like a waste of time."

Kind of hard to do FBM Drill on a non solid and one day FBM Drill in Mastercam will be the way to go.

"Just more of his trolling tactics"

If you say so.

quote:

If you say so.

Yes I do say so.

quote:

Kind of hard to do FBM Drill on a non solid and one day FBM Drill in Mastercam will be the way to go.

Yeah...cause only a useless hack would have to use FBM...I have no use for it and think it was a waste of CNC Softwares time and effort to develope it....but that's just my opinion.

I've wasted enough time getting sucked into your bs trolling here so I'm out. Bottom line...you're a hack, a troll and need to get a life...good day sir!

I would move the visible (good) surfaces to a different level in MC. Keep the hidden entities on their current level and then export the IGES file. This will not eliminate seeing the untrimmed construction surfaces once pulled into SpaceClaim, but if SpaceClaim maintains the level structure you could simply turn off that level.

"eah...cause only a useless hack would have to use FBM...I have no use for it and think it was a waste of CNC Softwares time and effort to develope it....but that's just my opinion."

If you don't understand that feature based machining has a very bright future there is not much that can be said.

"I would move the visible (good) surfaces to a different level in MC. Keep the hidden entities on their current level and then export the IGES file. This will not eliminate seeing the untrimmed construction surfaces once pulled into SpaceClaim, but if SpaceClaim maintains the level structure you could simply turn off that level."

I'll try this. Thanks.

quote:

Are there any settings I can change in Mastercam so it exports cleaner IGES?

None that I'm aware off.

Based on my rather limited mere 17 years of experience with Mastercam, for exporting anything but parasolid, for solids, not open sheets, I suggest considering Mastercam a Black Hole. IOW once data is in it it is best practice where it should stay.

I do however get pretty good results exporting 3D wireframes in DXF or DWG format for the guy who does most of our wire EDM who uses an old version of Espirt, as long as there are no splines in the wireframes.

::shrug::

Solidworks, especially in the last few years, is EXTREMELY good at fixing garbage IGES files. Fortunately for me, most of my customers are competent enough to realize that creating a solid in Pro/E, and then sending it out to a machine shop (if we can call your faux "shop" that) as an IGES file, is a complete abomination.

Then again, none of my customers are clueless enough to hire a fraud like Jonny Bonkers, so clearly the incompetence starts at the top and trickles down.

You want to see garbage data? I should show you some of the stuff we get from China. Mold designs that were created in inches on one system here, exported and scaled to metric in another, back to inches then metric again in yet others, pushed pulled and tweaked to incorporate changes on the fly in various cad/cam systems, then finally back to here as, um, a final product with the tool.

And I'm not talking about tools for prismatic parts either, the ONLY flat surfaces on some of this stuff is the mold frame plates.

There's no magic button or software to fix it either. The only way to work with it is to man up and just deal with it.