Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What Would Cause This To Happen?

quote:

out of 5 parasolids(X_T) will have missing surface data, yet I have never had a single issue with a .stp file to date in MC. Now I request them exclusively.

Its also dependent on what system is outputting the file.. Pro-E doesn't do a very good job of parasolids.. Solidworks does parasolids almost perfectly in my experience

I'm not sure if Catia can even do parasolids.. I think its step or nothing ??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe people still use Iges files. It must work well with their computers that still have Windows 3.1

At any rate, the OP states he works for an engineering company of some sort. Ya better step into the 21st century and get updated. ProE files can be imported into Mastercam with the use a converter which doesn't cost very much. We have ours on our server so it can be accessed by onyone in the company that has Mastercam installed on their computer. Why would your engineers waste their time ( and accuracy ) converting files into Iges. Just use the native file and everyone will be happy. If this is seriously how your "Engineering company" handles things, I'm sure we will be reading about your company closing soon.

I'm not trying to be a jack-xxxx, I'm just pointing out to you that their are much superior choices to make than using Iges.

"Based on my rather limited mere 17 years of experience with Mastercam, for exporting anything but parasolid, for solids, not open sheets, I suggest considering Mastercam a Black Hole. IOW once data is in it it is best practice where it should stay."

You got that right.

The Pro/E IGES file imports directly into SpaceClaim with zero problems. The Mastercam IGES comes into SpaceClaim as a total mess requiring tons of clean up.

I'd like to see SpaceClaim directly open Mastercam files. Mastercam can already directly read SpaceClaim files.

"I'm not trying to be a jack-xxxx, I'm just pointing out to you that their are much superior choices to make than using Iges."

I agree.

However:

Can you tell me how you would tell a company with 13 billion in cash and no debt that using IGES files is going to cause them to be "closing soon." and get them to not laugh.

I'm not trying to be an jack-xxxx either but we really have very little problem with Pro-E IGES.

It's Mastercam IGES I have a problem with and I believe Anubis has it right with what he said and I quoted above.

"Export from ProE as a solid from the IGES CONVERTER.... If you export from ProE with the default it is set to ALL Quilts..."

If there was a problem with Pro-E IGES why does a direct import of the Pro-E IGES file into SpaceClaim give me zero problems?

The problem isn't with the Pro-E IGES. The problem is when I bring it into Mastercam and then try and save it as an IGES. I believe Anubis has what the problem is figured out.

"The parasolid kernal is proprietary to Unigraphics"

The Parasolid kernel is owned by Siemens. The Unigraphics name is being phased out. What was Unigraphics NX is now referred to as Siemens NX.

Why continue with IGES? More people have trouble with that format than any other, and not just Mastercam. If you insist on using inferior tools you will continue to get inferior results.

Now if that's what you've been told to use and you can't change it, I guess you'll just have to live with it.