Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

levels have "1' entity

captpaul

Hello,

I opened and saved a .stp file.

now my x2 file has 20868 levels that shows "1" entity in each level. No geometry on the levels. No Name on the levels.

Opened in x4 (just loaded) same thing.

Purged - still there.

Under "List Levels" I have to have "Named" only

checked, otherwise the 20868 levels open which also slows the file down, opening.

Any suggestions,

Thanks

Paul

You will get this sort of thing happening when importing a STEP file ( done in another CAD system ) into Mastercam as surfaces, these phantom entities are the "hidden" untrimmed surfaces, and are used to make the displayed surfaces.

Save your work first, as it will become very ugly

To display them, "Un-hide", all entities, OK

**** these are used to create the trimmed surfaces that are normally displayed, DO NOT DELETE them ****

leave them hidden, you could move them to only 1 level if you so desire to tidy things up.

To bypass these $hitters, import the STEP as a solid, and then create the geometry and surfaces from the solid.

quote:

You will get this sort of thing happening when importing a STEP file ( done in another CAD system ) into Mastercam as surfaces

Yes, I've seen this quite a bit too. Superman's suggestion of importing the step file as a solid is certainly the easiest.

However, the export settings in the CAD package used to create the surface step file can also be manipulated to affect how the surface file looks when opened in Mastercam. I know there are different settings in Catia and Solidworks that can result in a step file that behaves exactly as you describe.

I'm no CAD driver, but I'm sure some folks here could tell you how to get a cleaner surface step file to export out of Catia or Solidworks if you don't have MC Solids capability.

As always, there's more than one way around! cheers.gif

Thanks,

Code_Breaker and

Superman

as Superman said "DO NOT DELETE them"

moved to 1 level * works for me.

Tried importing as solid, always get "SOLIDS TOPOLOGY IMPORT FAILED" even checking

the 3 different options.

The .stp file is about 80mb and takes

15-20 minutes to open (translate).

running lenovo program "Mouse Suite"

wondering if it causes mcam problems?

Lenovo system

Vista Business

Core2 Duo 3.0 Ghz

4 gb ram

nvidia quadro fx1700