Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

quote:

I work exclusivly in X4.. I'd uninstall

X2 and 3, but I'm scared I'd break something

I uninstalled X2 and X3 after installing X4 MU1 and have had zero problems. 90% of what I do is surfacing (not 4 or 5 axis) and I use almost all of the surface toolpath types available (high speed and regular) and don't have any crashes or corrupted files.

I do keep CAD/CAM workstations quite lean in regards to installed software and hardware. They're called workstations for a reason. They're not multimedia / Internet / entertainment stations, that is what your toy computers at home are for. That is by and large the biggest problem I've seen in the various companies I've been in that had computer problems, too much crapware installed by people with less than rudimentary knowledge of systems administration.

However, there is the usual plethora of bugs (new and old) to work around. That's cool though. It would "feel" very very wrong if Mastercam didn't trip you up numerous times during the first month or two after a new release or update.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, were talking about and error

"opening temp folder' = software mapping glitch.

How can my video driver be at fault finding a

folder that MC is looking for.

Maybe when changing setting in the config file

MC get all confused because some work and some

dont. if one thing in there has issues mapping

, going the proper route or what have you, the

software is in need of fixing.

Time to get in to the architecture and bring it

up to date or find a way to make it work for

everyone. OR how about a refund if it I have to stop using X4 because of this and go back to

X3?

Waiting until X5 for stability is not an issue!

X5 WILL have problem, so then I have to Wait for Z5 MU1?? Whats that a year down the road?

Maintenance will then be considered a sham because

the bugs will never get fixed for each version.

Separate maintenance from bug fixes!

That should be CNC's next protocol. Period.

quote:

t is the PCI drivers fault, not Mastercams...most likely the video...

When I said it was a video driver issue I did not mean that you could fix the problem. IMO, the only way to fix this problem is to get a different mainboard.

Or get a video card with massive memory so that when Mastercam regenerates its toolpath and writes it on the screen at the end of the regeneration process, you actually have enough RAM on the card to handle all that and the PCI does not have to call on the Page...

...then hope and pray that the toolpath you just crunched does not take also call on the pagefile...

Let's see..

XP 800 meg...

I/O possibly 1 GIG...

Mastercam file 500 megs...

Mastercam memory allocation...75% 2.5 gig...

system memory 4 gig but XP only uses 3... headscratch.gif

Ruh Roww....Houston we have a problem.... headscratch.gif

Rickster, are you using UNC paths in your Mastercam configuration?

E.g.:

filesrvsharenamesomeburieddowndeepsubfoldername

I seem to recall you or someone else posting that you did.

I avoid doing that even though network resources are now browseable from within the Mastercam configuration dialog. Have had problems doing that in the past which were resolved by mapping remote folders as drive letters and haven't done otherwise since.

Perhaps that is causing some of your problems?

Defragging the hard drive solved the temp file problem for a week. I defragged again after a couple temp file crashes and so far I don't have the temp file crash yet. Back in VS 9 I had been in the habit of defragging weekly. Maybe that should be a common practice.

I agree the software is, umm, in a less than ideal state at this point in time to put it nicely. I'm just trying to throw things out there that may help.

Methinks the whole Mastercam plus machine and control definition configuration ordeal is one giant overly complicated clusterf**k.

Are your problems reproducible with default Mastercam configuration files and box stock generic machine and control defs?

Mastercam wipes the temp (sub) folder when it exits cleanly. When it crashes all bets are off. Yep, is a good idea to check the temp folder after a crash.

If it's not being cleared on a clean exit then some other process, like AV or indexing software has a hold of it. I avoid that potential problem by listing the entire Mastercam hierarchy, as well as some other important directories as exceptions in the AV software. There's no reason at all AV software needs scan files written to and read from Mastercams temp directory.

The file indexing services I disable. I know where my stuff is, I don't need the computer to find it for me. Feh.

Alright, the error opening temp folder is back.

I sent my file at the CNC.

I had a max feed has been exceeded.

That means I forgot to check full virtcle retract

on one path.

So I changed it and it crashed.

and now it constantly does it again!!

I am at a loss once again.

Rick

[ 11-11-2009, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

I set my page file back to the factory default.

restarted my p.c.

I regen the first rougher path....good

the nest waterline .... good

I hit save...

The next was a waterline rest pass....error and crash.

I don't know if the save crashed it or the

waterline rest.

I am going to clear the temp folder and restart

generate all but the rest paths one at a time

and save then try to make a new est path rather than regen it

If that works I will make all of then new path

and save..then try to regen the others for ships

and shingles.

Rick