Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

thinking out loud here...

Chris states the X2 X3 and X4 do not use common files..

Verndog says installing X4 jacked up X3

so..

checking Installation Guide.pdf on my X4

install disc page 2 says

OS Win XP or Vista blah blah blah

.Net 3.5 Framework

and

VCRedist 2005 and 2008 Visual C++

Idea #1..

something on the X4 install disc is jacking one

or both of these prerequisite installs up

.. which would screw up X2 X3 and X4

or Idea #2

some A/V softwares are preventing .NET or

VCRedist from updating properly during X4 installs This wrecks the prevoiusly good

.NET/VCRdist install prevents X3 from running correctly

or Idea #3

The X4 install package is installing newer

versions of .NET and or VCRedist files

that are improperly being blocked or killed

by some A/V softwares.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verndog - I looked at your first crash that you sent in today, it gave me a lot of information thanks to the build you are using. Keep sending them in, and thanks for the help.

The first error he sent in was caused by a sharing violation. The temp file was created, but we could not read it back in. Something was holding it in memory and was not allowing anything else to read it. Now to keep digging and figure out what is holding it.

quote:

Verndog - I looked at your first crash that you sent in today, it gave me a lot of information thanks to the build you are using. Keep sending them in, and thanks for the help.

The first error he sent in was caused by a sharing violation. The temp file was created, but we could not read it back in. Something was holding it in memory and was not allowing anything else to read it. Now to keep digging and figure out what is holding it.

--------------------

Chris Bell

Excellent Chris. I'm back home now and will load this onto my P4 Duo and see if I get the error on it. If you need to get ahold of me today or tomarrow I'll be at the 8man8 address.

I assume the code I sent from the event log .xls file is the one that you say is helping?

I can re produce this error over and over with 3 files I have back at work workstation. There is very little software on that machine. XP-SP3, MS Office (2009 IIRC), Acronis 2010 True Image backup, Mcam X3MU1 and X4MU2, AVG 9.0, A43 filemanager, Snagit V9.01,....about all I can think of. I am running nothing else while crashing though...not even Outlook.

quote:

Chris, You may want to look at the HaspX driver in X4. From what I can see there is definately a difference from X3 there. When I load X4 onto my Toshiba Techra Core 2 Laptop, sometimes the usb hasp is found and other times I get a "Invalid Sim found Error Code 2" and it shuts down. Sim checks out valid in hasp X utility, and not having this issue opening X3.

Possibly additional hasp checks / times in X4 collide or block the temp file access read / writes and cause enough of a delay ending in crash. This would also explain why different machines and usb configs (maybe wireless usb mouse and usb hasp combo...thats what I have) act differently. And once new hasp driver is installed it would trickle downs to other X versions and get effected.

When I do get X4 running on the Toshiba, I cannot get the regen temp file access error to come up. Everything regenerates good with X4 and X4MU2. So it's not my .mcx file, machine, control, or post.

Chris, I cant give you any crash reports but

I have some news that may help eliminate some stuff

I decided to stop modeling and test importing and

regenning those dirty paths with new geo.

This pic is the part from last thurs (my last crash)

before permissions and ownership of C: were applied.

215 meg file After resetting s full permissions and

ownership the job was a breeze and finished with no problems

t1.jpg

the nixt pick is a similar part that will use the

exact same tool group paths for each component core side, cavity and corinsert

t2.jpg

the second one is not as detailed but similar

Here is my procedure that I use

-Start and completely model 2nd par boundaries etc

import p/l and runner from 1st file that will be used

-create 3 machine groups for each component

-Import paths from each cosponsoring tool group

from 1st file

-select new geo for each path in one tool path group/step shallow etc.

-save

-regen

-save

_repeat all steps for the next two components toolpath groups

Finished complte with no crashes.

I am at home AVG pro still installed avioding

the mastercam folders like stated before.

Prior to this job, using same AVG settings

but not resetting permissions and ownership of

C:drive, I couldn't created two new paths with our the error popping up, let aloneimport a group

withour the error.

My conclusion is that Robert aka Zoober seems to

be on to something here.

Now my p.c. at work will have a new Fresh XP install up and running by the end of the week.

NO AVG , but I will have our new server protection installed.

I will keep ya posted if i have any pertinent issues.

Hope any of this helps

Rick

With or without Anti Virus.(AVG Ver 9.)

Anti virus was suggest on day 12 of this thread

Chris suggested it again on Day 22.

My MC folders were excluded on day 12.

My AVG was uninstalled on day 16 (i believe).

Crashed until permissions were set on 19th (i believe)

I am still thinking that some ppl who 'think'

their permissions and owner ship are set properly,

should look into it.

I had no crashes at home on the week end, with AVG

installed and none today without.

Sure it doesn't rule it out, but I am only having

great success after the permission thing

Rick

[ 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

Microsoft permissions (explicit vs inherited, etc..) are iffy at best for consistency. That's why I recommended changing ownership. Ownership creates proper (explicit)permissions for all subsequent files and directories if applied properly, bypassing inherited. If inherited permissions are used, you may or may not have correct flow down on newly created files and directories. Even if you are a part (supposedly) of the admin group.

Lockdowns and group permissions passed through Group policy management can also get in the way.

As Evil would say, Unix does it (way) better.

quote:

SO far so good.

Well, one thing I've noticed is this bug is anything but predictable. After having problems with several files last week, then on Saturday loading the MU2 and seeing no difference....today the exact same problem files regenerate fine. I cannot even force the error if I want to.

Not sure if its the MU2 finally taking "full hold" (as if that makes any sence)...or if its the machine "resting for a day" (as if that makes any more.)

I have a new patch written for MU2 I'm running that has a couple delayed rewrite attempts coded into it....so far so good X2. cool.gif

I highly suggest others with this issue help troubleshoot by running the MU2 and contacting Chris. The more data in...the sooner we get to worry about our real job again.

Verndog,

You mentioned on Saturday or Sunday that you crashed several times when running the mccore.dll that I gave you. Could you go into your temp directory and send me the XML files that the crashes created? You already sent me one, but there should be a few more. Remember, they start with the date that they were created, followed by the time, and end with log.xml (something like 11242009083000log.xml it it crashed today at 8:30:00 in the morning). If they were the last crashes you experienced, they will be the top ones in chronological order.