Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATTN Chiris Bell.

quote:

To anyone who is having this problem (or who had it in the last few weeks), what AntiVirus software are you running?

NONE.

I uninstalled mine 1-1/2 weeks ago and still

got the error10 times that day.

It was AVG pro

After I put my newly formated harddrive in on tues day, I should have every thing up and running by wednesday.

My it guy has installed new server anti virus a

week days ago on all pc's,(except on mine)

And our other two seat are tropuble free using 2 different AV's now

Our two other seats that don't have maintenance and are stuck at X2 MR2 SP1 have NEVER EVER EVER seen this issue. What does that tell you?

We all used the same AVG PRO and they never changed anything on there 4 computers that share the 2 hasp keys.

I have this problem on X2, X3, X4 files only since the X4 MU1 install.

Something in MC is not mapping correctly and since

we all know how difficult it is to make sure the

file mapping on side by side intalls are a big PITA, from one install to the next.....

I find it hard to believe my UNINSTALLED Anti Virus is the culprit!

quote:

Symantec Endpoint Server / Client. All seats of Mastercam on clients.

This I believe is what I will have on my new install when all is said and done.

Rickster, I'm looking for information and not an attack. Let's keep this professional.

Keep the information coming, guys. So far we know

1) It's not OS-specific.

2) It occurs on small and large files, so page file size / "full" temp directory is not likely an issue.

3) Mastercam 3rd party applications are likely not to blame (some people have them installed, others do not)

4) AVG seems to be common amongst the affected computer, but it is not unanimous. Could there be shared definitions in other AV software?

5) Could there be multiple causes to the problem? Rickster uninstalled AV, but still had the problem. Or was there something left behind by the previously-installed software that caused the problem?

One other thing to try (anyone who is affected by the the problem), is Windows Firewall or Defender enabled? If so, disable it and see if the problem goes away.

We're hoping to have a build with some special code that will help debug the problem. If anyone is interested in participating in some testing who has the crashing problem, please let me know (email me at [email protected]). I'll notify you this weekend when the build is complete.

Thank you all for your help and patience with this issue.

quote:

5) Could there be multiple causes to the problem? Rickster uninstalled AV, but still had the problem. Or was there something left behind by the previously-installed software that caused the problem?

or

AVG prevented a proper install by blocking a specific file or script during installation

or

AVG quaratined a Mastercam proccess.. and it stayed quaratined after AVG was unistalled..

this would explain the crash trickling down to earlier versions..

????

just thinking out loud

Norton NIS blocked a registry updater file on my

Win 7 machine during a Verisurf add-on install.

I had to shut it off to get a good install..

At least NIS told me it was doing it..

If I'd had silent mode enabled I'd have had a bad install and never known it untill the application

failed.

Chris, the temp file error reduced dramatically after defragging the hard drive, although, I still get daily crashes when selecting a wireframe boundary on an imported HST. If I select parameters, toolpath type, containment and select my boundary in an imported HST, X4MU1 will crash. If I select a containment boundary WITHOUT opening the parameters, all is fine. Is this problem related in any way?

Hi Peon,

I don't think that is related, but it is definitely something I want to look into. You are importing the toolpath using Import Operations in the Operations Manager? Will this occur if you create a new 3D HST operation? Feel free to send me a sample part and email address and I can look at your crash reports.

Tom, I like the way you think and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Those are all possibilities.

Sorry Chris.

Its hard to keep track of what measures I have

taken and what I have shared.

I am leaving AVG on my machine at home, for now.

I do have it set to avoid all the folders MC uses.

I just received P.O's for 22 new jobs, we are in

shock and awe here. I am going to design 3 to 5

mold this weekend and my programmer(just hired him

back from layoff) and I will be crunching hard next week

His P.C. hasent open a file since aug 8th

i uninstalled his AVG last wednesday.

I'll keep ya posted

Rick

[ 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

BTW,

I think it was late tuesday I set my permissions

and ownership fully to my C: Drive and wednesday and thursday were good days with a total of 4-1/2 hrs crash free. The rest of the days were design and

quoting.

i think, and that is already a tough enuf thing

for me to do...that the permissions have something

to do with it also.

2 more cents

Rick

gcode,

yes they are different. I can manipulate the firewall settings but not the AV. We are on a network and I used to be the IT guy also biggrin.gif but we hired an outside source to monitor it because I have too much other stuff to do.

edit: I had to threaten our outsourced IT guy to even let me have control over the firewall biggrin.gif

firewall.jpg

quote:

6)It is something new written into Version X4 and X4MU1 that has a trickle down effect with all version X Mastercams.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

This very likely is not true (I'm at about 98% certainty with this one) as MCCore.dll is not shared amongst versions, and that is where the crash is coming from. We also have a few users reporting the crash that have never installed X4 or X4 MU1.

I have a debug version of X4 MU2 that I would like to try on a few of the affected computers. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected]. I can send you a link to the build. Thanks again, everyone.

quote:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

This very likely is not true (I'm at about 98% certainty with this one) as MCCore.dll is not shared amongst versions, and that is where the crash is coming from. We also have a few users reporting the crash that have never installed X4 or X4 MU1.

I have a debug version of X4 MU2 that I would like to try on a few of the affected computers. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected]. I can send you a link to the build. Thanks again, everyone.

Chris...with all due respect...I would disagree. I loaded my new system, and installed just X3 and everything including problem files and toolpath regened correctly. Then...as soon as I installed X4 (not MU1 even) the problem came back. And not only in X4 but in X3 also. This is very important I believe.

I've only run this Dell Xeon 3.0ghz a couple of weeks, but have seen 1000's of 3D toolpaths generated in X3 and NEVER seen this error before. 2 of 5 of us in my department have this crash, both on Dell machines.

I may take this all home with key and try on my P4 Duo and see if I can get the same file to act up.

I just ran the new MU2 with mccore.dll patch with same end result. Still crashing on regens.

Vern,

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling

video drivers AFTER the X4 install??

Maybe the X4 install is jacking up the video

drivers???

also...

dump the Dell drivers and use the ones available

from Nvidia.. I don't know why but I've always

had troble with Dell drivers and dump them first thing when I get a new Dell workstation

Haven't tried that. I'm not running the Dell install version just bare bone XP and the correct Nvidia FX4500 driver. I have no reason to believe that graphics card driver is the cause since it WAS fine in X3 until X4 gets installed. Also why would bad video driver effect just 3-D toolpath regen and block it from writing a temp file to c: drive??

Another thing worth mentioning. I noticed after pulling up the file and clicking params that a pop up "STL File Not Found" message comes up. I have like always just repathed to the correct file, but dont remember seeing this before in X3 unless I was in machine files. X4 seems to be looking for the STL at each operation now...possibly this is part of the reason I get the irritating 2-3 second pause before params open?? Also I see another possible thing in common. The files this happens in I have multiple machine groups in and the STL is pathed to group 2. I will look more into this. Try to dump a machine group and see if I still get the crash.

Update:--Multiple machine groups not the cause. I deleted the group 1 and tried to regen a small file with only 5 ops and it crashed.

[ 11-21-2009, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Verndog ]