Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam t smartcam

heartwood

Our company is looking at purchasing another company. The to-be purchased company uses mastercam 7.2. We will be getting their files, but not the mastercam software. Our company has been stuck on smartcam 8.1 for a long time.

If we decide to stay with smartcam, is there anyway to convert the mastercam files into a format that smartcam will understand? The big problem here is that we wouldn't own the mastercam software to export from. Any ideas?

Dear Heartwood,

You are heart breaker. Another MasterCam using company is going to become SmartCam user. That hurt! frown.gif

Anyway, convert and save MC files to IGES format. This way you only can save the geometries for SmartCam. I don't see any better way to do it.

MasterCam V9 can't even save and convert its own toolpathes to MasterCam V8.

Well, good luck to your new company! Please do not lay off those MasterCam users. Thank you!

PS. I have seen companies with 2 even 3 cams at same time. They share NC files.

[ 08-07-2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Dump SmartCAM! It is outdated, obsolete technology. Yeah it "works", but so do some Yugos, but you don't see me driving one of those do you?. It is well worth the investment to either transfer the MC license or buy new seats of MC.

If management is hell bent on staying in the stone ages, you can buy Mastercam Draft (Cost is about the price of a decent DVD Player, give or take a few bucks). This will allow you to read the Mastercam Files, then you can export to IGES and read into DumbCAM. Done.

JUNK Smart CAM! And the 5 ¼” floppy it was copied from. Yeah it "works", but so do propeller airplanes, but when is the last time you rode in one?

Brother James had a good approach, and if you need more help

Some of the guys here on the forum are contractors and they will

Be able to help.

[ 08-08-2002, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

My Question is why you would want to go from software that still excites to software that doesn't exist anymore, I’ve herd of Mastercam users that want to transfer smartcam to Mastercam but never vice versa. Why not transfer it and update to V9 just in time spent machining and programming, the software transfer and update will pay for itself may times over immediately .Plus you’re not even current with the latest version of smartcam.

BBBLLLAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. confused.gif Why,the problem here is obvious,They have never

tried mastercam.Not only is thier Smartscam not produced anymore,It is 3 .1 versions from theyre last release in 1998.How do I know, I dont admit it to often but I used freeform for about 4 years.The least you could do is update to 11.2, our local vendor still carries it approx $4,000.00 Full blown freeform.,But

if you are going to try to convert files,Mastercam files will not de-grade into other file types with toolpath,V8 smartscam couldnt comprehend what version 7.2 Mastercam can create.Sorry for the smartcam dogfest but you asked for it.PLEASE for your own good and a huge upgrade,dump the smartscam, You'll be glad you did. biggrin.gif

quote:

take it easy you guys your scaring the customers

I agree.

Mr. Heartwood is first time here and he is still thinking if they will convert to MC. We, MasterCam users should show some classiness reach out helping hands.

Some one likes "fly a propeller airplane a couple of times a week", must have some good reasons. We should not label them too quick.

We should know what kind "propeller airplane" Mr. Heartwood is flying and why. We should explain him patiently why jet airplane is better if Mr. Heartwood flying "the fifties type mass travel type airliner".

I agree that MasterCam is better and more powerful than SmartCam if compare them apple to apple. I did use both (once upon time). For newcomer, yes, SmartCam has a Windows look, is friendlier. However, when you use more and more you will find out MasterCam is the one can get job done easier and faster. That was why I give up SmartCam at end.

Baby’s bikes (pink or blue) always better looking than my mountain bike, and they have assistant wheels too.

[ 08-08-2002, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

Heartwood,

Realizing it is probably not your decision to "Upgrade" to Mastercam. IMO James' procedure sounds the best. I would just like to add the ability to translate an entire directory using Files-Convert-Iges-Write Dir is an incredible tool you will want to utilize.

Good Luck,

Chico

I am at home ill,and I have more time to post.

In my professional opinion as a Mastercam user of V1,V2,V3,V4,V5,V6,V7,V8,V9, that it would be necessary to have a mentor(tutor's-legup)

so that the intellectual property that your company just acquired would be capitalized on. I am not convinced that every file in the data base will need to be converted untill they are needed not to mention the smartcam files may also be to converted at a later date . I believe that this is not just a file conversion, but a project that allows totally computability all of the companies files to MC9 when needed.

There is still a learning curve for the existing programmers to convert to Mastercam. My first choice for this is to acquire the service of someone familiar with both,perhaps that person will be here on the forum. Then the nick names of similar features are easily found in the new software.

quote:

The big problem here is that we wouldn't own the mastercam software to export from. Any ideas?

Contact the existing V7.2 programmer,employ him

If the 7.2 sim exists -- transfer & update to V9.

or-Buy V9 with solids outright.

Get an Nc backplot and make solids from the nc files.

There are many options, I have posted only a few.

maybe you could post again so that we could help.

It is important to stay on the current rev, so that you can get answers form the power users. They will hardly remember the features in a version that is six months old.

I had a blue yugo(really) . I bought it for $4,200 on a credit card. I drove it for 50,000 miles until it caught fire on the 14 freeway.I loved the little car.

With my simple but valuble intelect, I have no problem comprehending James's referance to the little Yugo Who's time has come and gone.

[ 08-08-2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

James's referance to the little Yugo Who's time has come and gone.

That was EXACTLY my intent with the Yugo crack. SmartCAM WAS a phenominal product (10 years ago). It was ahead of it's time in many aspects, like associativity, job setup, etc... But alas when Mastercam V7 was introduced, we finally had some. When V8 came out, we had full associativity, now with V9, Mastercam is approaching UG and CATIA's 5 Axis Toolpath functionality, and even though they are more powerful, I'd still take MC over them.

So, with that said heartwood, beg, plead, bow, scrape, whatever you have to do to get hold of Mastercam. Fluent SmartCAM users are becoming scarce as hen's teeth and staying with such an obsolete system will only cost your company money.

JM2C

What about finding a job when all you know is SmartCam. I visited my old company where me and my co worker used EZ-Cam. Back then (8 years ago) I quit and got a job in the place where they had Unigraphics. Well, my old buddy is still working there, where all the machines are 20 years old and so is the pay.He can't go anywhere cause no one uses EZ-Cam anymore. Staying with on old software is the biggest mistake anybody can make. You will just hurt your self at the end. Anyways, I learned Unigraphics 16-17, then Powermill and now using MasterCam and ProE 2001. I took the job I have now because of all the software they use. Now I got four best CAD/CAM systems under my belt which makes me highly employable even in the job market as it is today. Imagine knowing only SmartCam and being laid off tomorrow.

Do your self a favor and Get MasterCam even if you don't like it at first. There are alot more jobs for MasterCam programmers.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

beav,

HUGE point. Well put! I wish I had UG and CATIA experience, but I'm pretty content with my Mastercam, SmartSCAM, SurfSCAM, and EdgeSCAM experience. I feel employable just about anywhere, though UG and CATIA would seal the deal.

JM2C