Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hard Milling Advice?

Josh T™

Hey guys,

We've got some slots to mill - .377 to .379 wide / .125 deep / A2 @ 60-62Rc / Approximately 6" long. I tried a 6 flute .3125 Endmill but no luck. I have some TiAlN coated 1/4 3 fluters with a .020 radius that I'd like to try but I don't have a clue where to start on the Feeds & Speeds.

Any ideas? headscratch.gif

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I like CBN in stuff above Rc 55. Tends to wear better than carbides do (even coated). You gotta have at least 12k on the spindle though. Oh, and yeah, you'll be running max RPM and feeding about 30IPM.

HTH

Throwing some darts here. Holder type, machine?

Save the pricey stuff for finishing. Your going to cook some tooling. Start with used emills and put a .03 x 45. on them and use .025 DOC. Leave about .003 for finish, sides and bottom. Finish the bottom and sides with the radius-ed emill first, then follow up with a sharp cornered emill, staying off the sides and bottom some.

And a lil' bit of red won't mess things up. 10k to 12k likes the apps guy said. I'd go about .006 FPT for roughing in a heat shrink holder. See if you can grab some data from the OSG or Nachi sites for hard milling.

BTW, cool pic.

For future reference Jabro makes some excellent cutters for this kind of application. Their HPM product line would work great for this. They make the cutters down to 2mm and up to 16mm. You could pretty much 1 pass those slots for roughing and then leave a .005" all around for clean-up. If you want their contact infromation e-mail me at john(dot)joyce(at)tycoelectronics(dot)com.