Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

it always comes back to the programmer

Dan@clover

I really should have stayed home today, I’m machining a form made of hardened A2 which cracked in the press and was welded back together. I only have to blend the welded area back to the original surfaces (not complex, we do it a lot here.) This is where my problem lies; the surface for this form is a .stl file which was made to fit another block of A2. The .stl file was put into position in another program (polyworks I believe), then exported as a .stl for me to machine. I machined that block, since then it has gone for heat treat and polishing. So this block is only a temp.

My problem is how do I locate this block with the .stl file? Center of block does match with the .stl file, nor do I have data were the edges are in the file.

Any suggestions how I could pick this up?

Dan

Dazed and Confused banghead.gif

Draw some points in the original file

to help orient the file..

Then draw points defining the new position..

Then use Xform/STL to move the STL to its new location..using the before and after points

to control the xform

I always make a backup file before doing something like this.. cause I'll probably screw it up a couple of times before I get it right. rolleyes.gif

I would use a combinaton of different things stated above. Using MCX4:

#1-try creating some points/lines from your original geometry/file.

**save**(even to new name like above stated)

then go to...

File> File merge/pattern.

you then can use your points to move and align the parts.

I hope this helps. Goodluck SZ

quote:

the designer wiped out all the orginal files (dumb a$$). I have no holes, points anything to use

Are you saying your orignial Mastercam file is gone and the original STL file as well??

To xform your stl, all you need is

2 points in 3D space

before and after..

then XFORM/STL, select the stl file

and use translate between points.

• 2 weeks later...