Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Mill leaves narrow areas ?

Chris Rizzo

Dynamic Mill. .125 tool. I've got a space between a boss and wall .128. The tool will not go between. Seems like going in there would violate it's stepover percentage, thus it doesn't...ok enough. . not ideal though. Gotta be sharp and see it, and then add a little path to cut said area.

However in the 3d HST horzontal area there is the trochodial motion page, where it will reduce the loop radius by a percentage trying to fit, and if it can't reduce anymore, will go to a slower feedrate yet still go through the slot.

Am I missing something with dynamic mill? Seems like the trochodial page from 3d hst should also be in 2d hst, if not more-so. confused.gif

Yes it's not really an ideal situation, but the combination of shallow total depth of material, in a deep cavity, a .125 tool will work adequately. I've beat this to death and think I'll send it in for interrogation.

oh yeah, no stock to leave. What is frustrating is the 3d horizontal works just fine, which leaves me not 100% confident in 2d dynamic mill.

Different tools for different situations. I think Dynamic mill will eventually have some sort of control to reduce the corner rounding radius in tight spots. If it were me I would just create a wireframe chain and ramp contour it... Then use Dynamic mill for the rest of the pocket.

One thing that I've found to be very helpful in Dynamic milling is to use a custom chain for the entry. That way you get a nice helical ramp into the material that clears a great entry pocket for the tool. It keeps the tool engaged in odd shaped pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

quote:

i think of dept of cut and incremental feed plane that don't work with dynamic mill will be address before corner rounding

Why?

dynamic mill's alogrythem dosn't function properly. A major fault with MC and its new enhancements. throw somthing new out there thats not properly tested and fully functional but sell it on the fact its there rolleyes.gif

as soon as dynamic mill sees a tighter area it stays away fom it instead of altering the toolpath for proper fit, which makes it useless for complex pockets

Speak for yourself Mayday. I use Dynamic Milling almost daily, on some pretty complex shapes.

Personally I'm not a fan of trying to cut a .128 wide slot with a .125 tool.

I think you are misleading people when you say the algorithm doesn't function properly. It functions just fine. It just doesn't do that well with tight spaces. So it needs to be refined, which is happening.

"Create a line down the center of the slot. Use peel mill. rough offset 0, rounding radius .001 stepover .0005, set slot at center and width .128.

This may get You what You are looking for."

Don't even try this, there is no wiggle room. It's been covered.

Captain Morgan, Marlboro, MCX4 with Moldplus, SW, and Surfcam. It it wasn't so far away, I'd be asking for directions.