Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USING A TRUNNION LIKE A LATHE

haroldm

HI guys, did your boss ever ask you to do something that you were not even sure was possible? (nothing dirty..haha) LOL.

Ok, imagine this, i have something like a nose-cone on an airplane and my boss wants me to center it on our 5 axis Haas Trunnion and spin it like its on a lathe and turn some material off of it with a ballmill. (the head on the haas is not 5 axis, it is the trunnion itself that rotates and turns)...did that make any sense?

Is this possible?

I guess you could also imagine a clay pot spinning wheel like in that movie Ghost..that was his example not mine..

thanks in advance! confused.gif

Hey guys, thanks for all of the help.

I can and would prefer the surface option, but the boss is insisting that he wants it to spin like a lathe so it doesnt take as long. That was why i was asking if it could even be done. I can do the part easily enough using conventional surfacing toolpaths, but he thinks the trunnion table can spin like a lathe..

quote:

but he thinks the trunnion table can spin like a lathe..

If its a trt series bolton trunnion you are running rubber belts to drive A & B. Trust me you will stretch the belt on B if you try that. Just running it 2 shifts of production as an indexer stretched the belt enough on B that after 3 months it skipped a tooth on the belt and wasn't at "0" when it slammed a 3/16" aircraft drill into the part OD.

Think about this, if the rotary turns at 120 degrees a second at it's max od, u r getting about 30 rpm, not even comparable to a lathe.

Hey Trevor, that was what i was talking about, thanks a bunch for the help guys. On a a side note trevor, where did you get the trunnion machine for the Machsim? I have never been able to get that to work. Could i just save your trunnion as a machine of my own? Thanks again

If you want a shorter cycle time don't use a ball, use a bull. The scallop it leaves is equivalent to that of a ball much larger than the bull, but you get the higher RPMs of the smaller tool. This works best at shallow angles that don't quite get horizontal. I'd set the nose pointing horizontal or near horizontal and run the paths from base to tip.