Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5/18-11 Threadmilling in steel

chris m

quote:

Where do you guys prefer "single point" vs hobb type thread mills and vicea versa? Here they only buy "single points" becuase they think hobs are to expensive and you are limited on your pitch. [Roll Eyes]

Although we don't do high production threadmilling.

We don't do a lot of threadmilling either, I just prefer multiple teeth over single point,looks better and cuts way faster.

LakeShore Carbide FTW!!! Almost half the cost and the "Hard Mill" thread mills are almost indestructible. Carl @ LakeShore has been a big help to me on a lot of tough jobs. They also make nice end mills, chamfer mills and anything else you need. I've had him make up some pretty wild profile cutters that I used on Tungsten!

Josh-

Just got done with some 1.25-7 blind holes 2.25 deep in Nitronic, MC's path was flawless, 2 roughing passes & 1 finish pass as a seperate toolpath (just copied the original toolpath and got rid of the multi-passes, forced toolchange) comped it out at the control till the gage went. Scientific Cutting Tools solid carbide threadmill .745 dia. TiCN coated 4 holes done and not a scratch on the tool.