Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Workholding Tape

Dave.L

Good Morning all,

We have a requirement to make some prototype parts, only 10 pieces, aluminum.

Outside dimensions are 2.4 x 2.4 x .063 thick, flat wihin .005 Just some holes and a shallow pocket.

I am thinking of trying workholding tape, anyone with experience doing this, can you post any suggetions?

Thanks!

Kevin,

In many cases we use double disk grinding, and it works well. In this case, I wish to machine all 5 sides of the part at once, then flip it to face and chamfer.

To small and too few of parts, and needed to quick to double disk grind.

But, I do appreciate your reply, Thanks!

BTW Dix Metals is another in Hunnigton Beach that I have used from blanks.

I do this all the time with alum. & plastics, its an excellent method. 1)Be absolutely certain your mounting surface is clean & dry, we use MEK. 2) make sure you "mount" the part over some type of slot or hole that will allow you a way to pry the part off, also soaking with the MEK after cutting, helps to loosen the adhesive when your worried about bending thin parts. I will try to get the name of the tape/supplier but I'm not in the shop currently.

Dave - We do alot of "4047 Laser Weld" covers for our hermetic housings. .187 thk down to .020 thk stock. I usually use 3M double sided tape.

Our trick to getting the parts off the block is to heat the block with a soldering plate set at 157 Celcius for a couple minutes, slip a razor blade under the part, spray a little alcohol in between and the parts come off easy without any residue.

Kevlar gloves help with handling the blocks hot.

As stated above, cleaning with a little MEK, MIBK, or just acetone will help keep the parts on the tape.

Yes, I've also used double-sided tape to hold small, thin parts.

As others have said, it is vital to keep the work surface clean and smooth. We also use MEK as a cleaner, and to loosen the bond after machining.

Other than some kind of vacuum fixture, double-sided tape is a very good choice. biggrin.gif

Dave can you get away with a vacuum? The tape used in automotive applications for holding molding is really strong. Acetone works real good for dissolving the glue and allowing you to remove after machining.

Does the part have holes in it? If it does could you machine around them using smaller bolts than the holes. Clamp the part down then drill or mill them to size? Now flip it and hold using tape to just qualify the thickness? Have you looked at super glue like suggested I have done it before with good results. Also have used bondo to hold parts, but you need to either prime the material or tape it since the bondo will stick to alum and other metals.

HTH

[ 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

We will probably start with .25 plate. Sheet will be to hard to get flat. We have lots of experience holding parts flat. There are many tricks and the type of material will dictate what tricks are needed. The bigest factor is you need to cut one side without distorting the part at all. Once you have one flat side, then the rest goes much better. Clamp pressure, or lack of, is the key

quote:

Last time I checked, aluminum is not magnetic

Well, not with that attitude!

tongue.gif

Wow, that's quite a ratio of start to finish removal! I guess it depends on the condition of the metal, but do you foresee it curling up as you release some of the stress in it? I know we've had that problem before. How many times you going to flip it? Start with a vise, or clamps? I guess at a 1/4 the double stick tape might work, if it's flat enough to hold it.

Thanks for sharing the experiance!

cheers.gif