Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I need a Path like Raster or Parallel

Thee Rickster ™

Rickstrap,

You want to call out a scallop height, not a stepover, right? Click the Max stepover button on the surface finish parallel parameters page and see if that will get you close enough. It may take some tweaking. I'm not sure how close the "approximate scallop height" will get you.

Thad

Jays right. It is limited in helping it scallop

or Add cuts.

The flatter area have too many extra cuts.

I am using a .005 step over.

I think I should get an acceptable finish the way it is. I will cut it and see how well it works.

Just hoping it could be done.

Maybe a Raster enhancement, Add Cuts.

I'll post it in the enhancement forum for feasibility.

Thanks

Well raster and parallel are constant xy stepovers. You'll of course always get stairs when it's parallel to steeps. Scallop and blend give you a stepover that follows the topography (3d). I think you want blend, which with the proper wire can give you a cut direction like you want, but with a 3d stepover. Also note that blend can do a 2d stepover.

If you want some cool sample files of blend and what wire geo does what, I've got a ton of really great examples I use in class.

hth

oh, if I was trapped on a desert island with only one toolpath, it would be blend. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

A raster with added cuts, like a water line with added cuts would be what i'd like if the option was

ther

High speed scallop is not the path for this piece

because we don't want to polish opposite scallops

So i just used the raster with a .0015 step over

It took and extra 20 minutes but it was polish free.

High speed machine

(It is a graphite slide)

I would like to see some of your path examples if

you wouldnt mind. cheers.gif

Chris, would you happen to have examples on Surface finish project, or pencil that you could put up on the FTP?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Blend res set at 1000% produces faster calc times, less accurate toolpaths.

Blend res set at 25% = longer calc times, more accurate toolpaths.

For those that are new to this path (you may already be aware of this), be sure to select all the surfaces next to the blend chains as well or else you may not cut tangent to an adjacent feature and it will gouge.

The tool will only cut to the center line of the blend chains so if you need 100% clean up on lets say an exterior wall, you will have to offset your chain geo by at least half the cutter.