Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Our New Makino D500 & MMC2... Sweet!!

SydwazShawn

Well, we are finally getting some parts in for this bad boy. The pallet stacker came 2 days ago, with the machine coming next week. Everything is happening so fast. It seemed like we had plenty of time to get ready, but now I’m feeling the pressure to get stuff done!! 5 months just flew by …

Well here are some pictures of the progress. I will be updating pics as progress moves along. I cant wait!! firebounce.gif

Unloading the MMC2

Picture030.jpg

Drilling the core holes for the machine to be epoxied in

Picture033.jpg

These last 2 are at the end of day 2.

Picture031.jpg

Picture035.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 11 Haas vertical mills, 1 Hitachi Seiki horizontal, 2 Hitachi Seiki lathes, 1 Mori NL 3000 lathe, and 1 Nakamura Tome lathe.

I can’t wait to throw some MCAM toolpaths at it! I crashed coursed my way thru a 5axis demo program for this thing! I have so much to learn, but its going to be fun…

Man, that D500 puts you guys at a whole different level. Are you putting simultaneous 5 axis parts on there right away, or are you just going to start with some 3+2 stuff?

Don't slack off on those pics. Dave left us all hanging with his D500 install, and then moved on to a different job to boot!

quote:

a whole different level

Exactly! The jobs I have lined up were programmed 3+2, but when I get time I’m slowly going to redo those programs utilizing the 5 axis moves. Our first part we are going to run on here will be a demo part that my reseller helped me with. He had a few 5 axis paths on it, and then I added a bunch more after studying his operations. I think I spent almost 3 hours on one tool path to get it correct!!! I didn’t want to give up, but I learned a lot....

So Dave left his work? I saw that thread he started and was asking him questions, then didn’t hear from him!

Anyway don’t worry about the pics, I will be throwing a ton on here. I imagine not a lot of people really care to see them, but since I’m super excited about this machine, I’m going to throw them on here anyway. cheers.gif

quote:

I begged them to do 3 years ago

I feel your pain!! I have begged my boss for a long time to get a machine like this, and my dreams always got stomped on!! Well no more, the old man has finally come to his senses! biggrin.gif

quote:

just in time for riding season huh! should have gotten it in the dark days of november when you don't feel so bad spending 18 hrs in the shop.

I gotta come out and chk' er' out sometime.

Dude, you are not kidding... We ordered it in October I think. It went by so fast!! I just sent my bike over to EDR to get mapped, should have it back next week. Turns out that the week I go back for Cell training, that’s the first Motocorsa day… frown.gif

You have got to see what I've got myself into. I'm trying to learn how to paint also, and have been doing all the body work on my race glass that I wrecked last year. I almost signed up for an auto paint class up at your school but then I realized that might be a bit much to take in. lol cuckoo.gif

I told John when I get this thing situated, I will invite you and Bob to come on out! It probably won’t be till June before I can get some breathing room, but I would really like it for you guys to come out.

Ok back to the program, so here are the pictures of day 4. Not a lot done visually, but they did a bunch of aligning today. We had a problem with our HVAC duct, and had to lift it 5 inches to clear the stacker. We barely had enough room to squeeze the buss bar box under the duct, but it fit by an inch or so. It set us back about 2 hours. Tomorrow we will be loading the robot on, so there will be alot more things going on. cheers.gif

Luckily we had the HVAC guy’s next door working on our clean room, so they made quick work of the problem. We pushed it up as far as it would go. If it didn’t fit, there would have needed some hammer and dolly work! lol

IMG_5309resize.jpg

Getting the robot loader track all ligned up.

IMG_5321resize.jpg

IMG_5326resize.jpg

IMG_5329resize.jpg

quote:

Shawn,Just curious, did you guys pour a special foundation or is this just going on the standard shop floor? How thick is your floor?

Just wondering. It looks like you have a nice new floor.

Yes we cut out the whole back slab before we moved to this side of the shop. Its 14 inches thick. There will be pictures later that show the old floor. This bay was used by an anodize shop, so the old floor was pretty messed up. It’s been about 2 1/2 years since we poured, and now we are finally utilizing the new slab.

I think you guys have a lot better ground down there too. All the soil from SE north to the Colombia is sand. Talk about floating and cracking concrete, and monitoring machine level situations. Who again is the Makino service up here?

quote:

m trying to learn how to paint also, and have been doing all the body work on my race glass that I wrecked last year. I almost signed up for an auto paint class up at your school but then I realized that might be a bit much to take in. lol [Cuckoo]

o/t

I'm done painting. I've been asking around if a student wants to paint my race plastic quick and dirty for a project. They have a fantastic paint system at the college. I'll let you know.

quote:

I'm done painting. I've been asking around if a student wants to paint my race plastic quick and dirty for a project. They have a fantastic paint system at the college. I'll let you know.

Man, I used to love painting back about 21 years ago....I painted cars and guitars it's really lots of fun but you really need a paint booth or everthing in your shop will be covered with overspray. My dad still gives me sh*t about the orange overspray he still finds in the garage 21 years later. eek.gif

quote:

Who again is the Makino service up here

Ellis Machinery sells them. They have one tech that happens to live in Portland, but mostly they fly in from Ohio or Detroit!

As far as painting goes, I have always wanted to paint. I airbrush here and there, but never with euro paint.

The guys at Quality paints told me that CCC has a great auto body class! Write now I'm in the process of building my paint booth in my shop at home, so I think I will skip the Colledge corse for now and wing it. When I'm done painting mine and if it turns out well, maybe we can paint yours also. biggrin.gif

What we got done one Friday. It was a tight fit in between our HAAS machines. We had to have a guy sit on top the fork lift to lift lights as we went thru. lol..

IMG_5333.jpg

Check out that fork! eek.gif

IMG_5375.jpg

Tight fit.

IMG_5380.jpg

Excited that I didnt drop it! biggrin.gif

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

Man you guys!! Don’t you guys know about foreplay?? You need check out the assets one at a time before you enjoy the whole package!!! biggrin.gif

We finally got done unpacking the last of the parts today. This project has been pretty involved! I didn’t anticipate a flood of work that hit us, so I have been bouncing back and forth between machining and forklift driver. I’m definitely worn out, but in a good way!! smile.gif

Anyway here we are with the next round of pics. cheers.gif

The next load part TWO!!

IMG_5438.jpg

Here is the Tool Matrix!

IMG_5519.jpg

323 tool Matrix.

IMG_5538.jpg

Finding its home...

IMG_5560.jpg