Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Our New Makino D500 & MMC2... Sweet!!

SydwazShawn

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This machine is big!! The pictures dwarf this thing down. You stand next to her and she's tall. The Trinnion DD motors are beefy!!

We had a little trouble with one of the co workers bringing her in!! The pictures will tell the story! wink.gif

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

Ok this is when it started to get ugly!! Mr. Haas Trinnion started having words with the new lady. curse.gif

IMG_5618.jpg

Mr. Haas took a swing at Ms. Makino and missed luckily... At this point I intervened, and then things settled down. wink.gif

IMG_5623.jpg

Awesome just Awesome. I will go out on a limb and say your company is still in business and all those using 20 years old machine will probably be out of business. I wonder why that is, but some people only learn when reality slaps them in the face. Good for your company they understand what it takes to be in business. cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

So the machine is in place, with the pallet changer brought in.. The guys started working on aligning the robot to the workstations.

Tonight we wired the machine, so tomorrow morning the techs will have power. They need to power it up and debug all the servo alarms.

After alarms are cleared, than comes the fun task of doing the final alignment of the pallet changer and machine. Once that’s done we can pore in the epoxy to anchor the feet in place.

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

quote:

Awesome just Awesome. I will go out on a limb and say your company is still in business and all those using 20 years old machine will probably be out of business. I wonder why that is, but some people only learn when reality slaps them in the face. Good for your company they understand what it takes to be in business.

I tell you Crazy, it was a long fight for a machine like this! I'm finally in a place were I can say we have one of the best technologies in our shop in our line of business! This machine completes me! Lol

Shawn have they modified the steel grate on the floor in the working area?

Ours collapsed when you stood on it.

Have you got an extra work light inside the machine it's very dark in there when you close the door, becuse the dorr includes the roof. There is a spot on the inside right hand side where an extra light can be mounted our Makino reseller wanted 3k to fit a light.

Enjoy great machine you'll love the windows based toucj screen controller.

Did you get the lazer tool height measurer?

Dave I priced a system like this except it was a 600mm with 40 pallet capacity and this was 5 years ago and it was $2.2 million. Now our company was spending $1.2 million a year on overtime and we were spending $1.0 million a year on machine maintenance. We had a smaller 40 pallet system already so it would have been a no brainier well I was wrong. I was told if I explored it any more I would be fired. I would venture with that set-up and the extra capacity tool changer close to $1 million.

Seems like a lot of money well take the current place I work. We get $100/hr for work. We only work 1 shift 40 hours a week. With a machine like this we could run 24/7. So we would gain 128 hours per spindle a week of run time. So we get conservative and say only 100 hours of added run time per machine. That is 200 hours at our current shop rate we gain $20k a week of run time. In one year in our shop that would net us $1,040,000 in gained run time over what we are currently doing. Now it you look at the real numbers it really gained $2,080,000 since for every hour saved is one hour gained. So how much did that machine really cost you? When people finally wake up and realize how much they are wasting it most times is to late.

Frustrating is the fact you can see it you present it and yet it still gets look at like it is crazy. I have been saving companies money on their work since I started worked in this trade and working smarts seems to always be thought of as crazy. I remember making my 1st set of soft jaws to do a production job in the late 80's. The owner was upset until he seen me take their 5 set-up parts and do them in 2 set-ups. Saved that company $1000's a dollars a week verse what they were doing when I started. I have pretty much done for every company I have worked for since doing this. I have been called every name in the book and I am damn proud of Shawn he stood his ground and even though he was probably thought of as crazy he got them to help themselves. Good job Shawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

When people finally wake up and realize how much they are wasting it most times is to late.

Well, it's a bit more involved than that.

You need to have the money, or the ability to borrow the money to get a system like that. You also better be very sure you will have the work for it and can manage to keep it full of work. One slow down in the economy could kill you really fast, remember 2009.

About 4 years ago I looked at a Mori NH4000 w/ a 7 or 8 pallet linear pool, around 250 tools, 400 mm. At that time the system was approx $400K. 4-axis machine though.

Dave, those D500s aren't cheap. The standalone with a small magazine is probably around $500K. The 330 tool magazine is at least another buck fifty, and then figure 25-30K/per pallet as an average cost of the MMC. I'd guess $1,000,000 is in the ballpark.

quote:

say hi to Kevin. He wired all our places too. great guy.

Ha,ha that’s funny! Kevin’s a great guy and he said hello! He’s like.. “ do you ride bikes with Rizzo”, and I was like… Well he rides, and I wreck!!

biggrin.gif

quote:

Shawn have they modified the steel grate on the floor in the working area?

Ours collapsed when you stood on it.

Have you got an extra work light inside the machine it's very dark in there when you close the door, becuse the dorr includes the roof. There is a spot on the inside right hand side where an extra light can be mounted our Makino reseller wanted 3k to fit a light.

They must have fixed the grate on our model because it seems super heavy duty. As far as the light goes, the Tech guy even mentioned something about not having the second light. I will look into that for sure.. cheers.gif

quote:

Enjoy great machine you'll love the windows based toucj screen controller.

Did you get the lazer tool height measurer?

Yep, had it factory installed. They put it behind the DD motor covers. The techs could not even find them at first.. lol! Super clean look, and not in the way.

quote:

two workstations with one spindle? Never thought about it before...but I could see that being handy.

Well if we get another machine it will come in handy. Really we were just looking ahead in the future, and got the package deal. I imagine though one machine can spit a lot of parts out during the weekend, and only having one station to unload and load Monday morning would take a lot longer!

quote:

Shawn, I assume D500 means 500mm pallet, correct? 40 or 50 taper? Also I wonder the price of that system. I would guess 400-500k

Nope it’s a 400mm pallet, with HSK 63A holders, 14k spindle. Not to mention specifics but double your estimation on price. wink.gif

quote:

I have been called every name in the book and I am damn proud of Shawn he stood his ground and even though he was probably thought of as crazy he got them to help themselves. Good job Shawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy, thanks for the kind words. I don’t think they saw me as crazy... More like a pain in the xxxx spoiled kid! lol..

But seriously, I don’t think our company would have been ready for this machine any earlier. We just got our first Haas 5ax about 9 months ago. After within 4 months we realized really quickly that we are going to need a pallet system because of the nature and work we were getting for the HAAS trinnion. Even then the boss wanted a hori but I pretty much thru a tantrum and persuaded him on the 5ax. lol biggrin.gif He said a 6 pallet pool will be enough and I said no! He said 60 tools would be enough and I said no! I actually convinced him in the 323 tools 2months into the purchase! So we had Makino write up a change order. I tell you its on going with owners these days! cuckoo.gifbiggrin.gif Although it is there money!

For me, I started seeing all these shops move ahead in technology and we were still using lesser machines to compete. It really started to get me down and out. I think the boss really started to see my ambition on what we could be! He started to se me get frustrated at non existent challenges. I’m 33 years old now and have been with this company for 15 years, so he new what kind of work ethic I had, so once he made his decision he basically left it in my hand. I really have to commend him in trusting me! cheers.gif

quote:

Well, it's a bit more involved than that.

You need to have the money, or the ability to borrow the money to get a system like that. You also better be very sure you will have the work for it and can manage to keep it full of work. One slow down in the economy could kill you really fast, remember 2009.

It was different for us. We had the money piled up, so if this sits for a year we still will be in business.

The boss is a smart man!! Always put back into the shop, and after 17 years of business he can say he own every machine, and building out write. He hates owing people money.

I think it is a gamble though, anyway you look at it. The most important thing isYOU and MANAGEMENT have to believe without a doubt that this will work......

quote:

I think it is a gamble though, anyway you look at it. The most important thing isYOU and MANAGEMENT have to believe without a doubt that this will work......

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Yes sir that is the key. If you go looking around for something to fail it will. You approach it with it will work or we will make it work then it seems to get done every time. Sounds like your owner is very smart business man. Congrats again wish Oregon got more sun I might be tempted to apply for a job. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Congrats again wish Oregon got more sun I might be tempted to apply for a job.

Thanks, and no way would I hire you! A man with your skill would put me out of a job! biggrin.gif

From what I have read of your posts, you know your stuff, and I'm surprised you don’t run one of these cells already, or a couple for that matter!! To bad the places you work for dont realize how much of an asset you are, and the potential there company would have over other companies! I guess it’s sometimes takes luck, hard work, and fate to fall into a good gig!! For me its all the above, and hopefully it will happen to you as well!

cheers.gif

quote:

Soooo..... make any chips yet?

Nope! Not much going on! They are still aligning the machine with the pallet changer. The Japanese guy will be working on hot roding the settings and getting everything tuned up this week. He will be checking all the machine parameters and such.

The trainer flies out March 29th. Then we can make some chips! cheers.gif