Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Teaching Mastercam

I am going to be teaching a few people where I work to program using MCX4. They will mainly be doing 3-axis mill work. They already have an ok background in CNC mill setup and operating so I will mostly be showing them how to use the software but also answering any general programming questions they have. They will eventually be going to classes at our reseller but the owners do not want them to go up there knowing nothing. I was thinking I would give them a general overview of how mastercam works then let them watch me program a few simple jobs so they can get the big picture. After that I want to give them some books and get them using the software as much as possible. That way I can answer any questions they have. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If anyone reads this who teaches I would like to know how they go about teaching beginners.

Justin,

There is another angle you may want to consider.

First, please don’t take this the wrong way, but you may or may not be a good teacher. What I mean is, you may be an expert in MC but not good at teaching it. Or you may be awesome at teaching it. I don’t know.

I would consider some of the video training offered thru a few members on this site. The e-apprentice site sticks out since I have looked at this website a few times and watched a few sample video’s – they are very good IMO. Plus, the price for this service is a great deal – I really don’t know how this guy makes any money.

With that said, it may be a better tool to get your guys familiar with the basics, at a pace that’s comfortable for each student and convenient based on scheduling. Then the guys could come to you for the expert advice and working thru issues, which I would guess you excel at.

Dave,

No offense taken. I'm sure I will be a good teacher. For better or for worse mastercam is a huge part of my life. Like most of you I spend countless hours on and off the clock learning about this software so I can become better at what I do. Your right about Streaming Teacher. The video lessons are very good. I was a member for a few months and made a notebook of all the tips and tricks I picked up along the way. I've also purchased most of the In House tutorial books and took classes through my reseller but that was a long time ago. Having them work at their own pace sounds like a great idea so I think I will suggest Streaming teacher as well. One of the great things about teaching people is by helping them you are also helping yourself. I got thrown into this on one days notice and come tommorrow morning the training starts so I'm just looking for some good ideas. I appreciate the advice.

I would suggest that the best training is that which you can do yourself. Outside help is great for getting a handle on the software. However, it will be extremely helpful for you to show them how you program. That will help keep things consistent in your shop, as far as style goes. If you're used to programming from bottom, back right of a part and they start setting things up from top, front, left, that will start messing up the flow of the guys setting up the jobs.

Just try to have them follow your style to keep things simple in the shop.

Best of luck to ya!

quote:

I dont have the patience for it.

2 words Dave, "ruler" and "knuckles" nuff said.

Ive always found the hardest part is everyone dont

learn at the same pace, stick the stupid ppl

in the back and ignore them no matter how many

times they raise their hand. biggrin.gif

I think you have a good approach :

quote:

I was thinking I would give them a general overview of how mastercam works then let them watch me program a few simple jobs so they can get the big picture. After that I want to give them some books and get them using the software as much as possible. That way I can answer any questions they have.

Im sure youll do fine cheers.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

...A couple more thoughts;

Dave Lelonek makes a good point with the videos/screaming teacher, etc...I think there's a direct correlation between proficiency and independent studies as follow-on or precursor to formal training (we see it here all the time)

There's also a group of tutorials avail to resellers on the extranet which are basically free for unlimited distribution. We have a directory on the C drive of all our classroom computers called S4A Training files with our custom materials (CAD & mcx files, pdfs of training manuals) and all the extranet stuff.

We encourage guys to copy and take them with for further study. maybe your reseller will hook you up with these prior to the classroom training at their place....

Point your guys in the direction of the nearest JC in your area that offers Mcam. If there interested and dedicated enough to take a semester class at night after work and complete it you might have a good prospect for training. Then at least you will have someone that can draw a little and navigate the software a little. Dont waste your time sorting out the Tigers from the Drones. Everyone in the shop thinks they could program. Only 1 out of 10 can eventually do it. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Thanks everyone for your input. No training actually took place today. Everyone was busy doing other things. On Monday I am going to get a few people signed up on Streaming Teacher and start showing them how I program. Then they will eventually go to our Reseller for classes. One thing I should have mentioned is that these guys are being trained to program at one of our other buildings that is right down the street. I'm going to be back and forth until they are up to speed.

Mic6,

I don't keep any gems to myself. The reason being I have a very talented mentor who freely shares with me all of his knowledge. I've even tried to get him to become a member on this site. Instead of joining he ocassionally asks me to post a question for him and I do. My motto is learn all you can and teach people all you know. As I have progressed in my career and become more confident in my ability I have become more secure as a leader so I have no reason to withhold knowledge from anyone.

Just my two cents.

I'm envious of that situation. A good opportunity for those employees indeed. All I had was this Forum, a bad after market book, sample files, and the help icon.

I think that with you as a mentor, streaming teacher, some good books and seat time, you're in a good place.

"Dont waste your time sorting out the Tigers from the Drones." Those that can't or won't will become apparent quickly. Cut'em loose and focus on those that can and will for the benifit of everybody involved.

"Everyone in the shop thinks they could program."

Where I work, that line reads like this: "Management thinks everyone in the shop could program." With no training I might add.

The company I work for merged 5 small shops into one and somebody "borrowed" all the Version X books except for getting started. Our programmer quit when things started getting complex, wasn't too good to begin with and NEVER showed anybody anything. The next programmer hired had 30 years experience and taught MC somewhere in Toledo. He was one of the worst programmers I've ever seen.

I share what I know with almost anybody who asks and wish I had someone to turn to with more experience when I'm stuck.

JM2C

Jay,

I got a certificate from you guys back in 2004 for Mastercam 9.1. Rob was my teacher. At the time I was working for Tim and Dean at ATC. I also worked for Randy at PGT Engineering and I am good friends with Chris K. who used to work for you guys. I hear he now has his own machines. In Newbury Park I worked for WTM Manufacturing and Oglesby Machining. I would have loved to stay in the area but things didn't work out that way. It was a good choice to move because things could not have worked out better for me.