Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

no help at work with 3d job

Jeff the haas_guy

I have not been here for some time. 4 years to be exact. My work has been the same old stuff day in and day out. Now I have this job that is 3D but cant figure out how to make it. The print is 20 years old and drawn to be made on a lathe. They made a ring on the lathe and cut the parts out of the ring. Now they would like me to make this and it appears to be 3D. I'm getting no help at work. Im the smartest guy on CNC and I cant do it. Is this the right forum if I want to post the picture or should I try some other forum.

Thanks for you help

Jeff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From looking at the print, I don't see what you think is a "3D" operation. After it comes off the lathe, It looks like 6 holes, a contour and a saw-cut. The difficult part is going to be fixturing.

How many parts are there? If just one, you could use a toolmakers vise, clamp on the tab, cut the contour, then put the vise on the correct angles to pop in the holes/spot-faces for the #8's. Add some small modular shim and clamps where needed to avoid vibration.

Op. 2, clamp the thin part in a vise with the tab facing up (cut some soft-jaws if needed) and mill/blend the angles on the tab that you couldn't machine on the first op. and put in the "drill, spot-face & tapped" hole on top of the tab.

Op.3, stand the part up so that the tab is up, Kant-twist clamp it to an angle plate and from there you can mill the top flat, and put in the 5/16" drilled hole.

Saw-cut it last using a toolmakers vise.

If you have multiple parts, you may want to make more elaborate fixtures but that's my advice based on quickly looking at it.

Good luck.