Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STUPID question about selecting entities (chaining)

For the life of me, I can't get X4 MU2 to allow me to select entities with chaining. For example, I need to translate some entities: I select Xform, and the little yellow box says, "Translate: select entities to translate." No matter what I've tried, I can't get the general selection ribbon bar to allow me to chain entities. (I've turned on and off preselection in my config file, tried the shift key thing, and scoured the help files.) I even did a search on this site!

Can anybody help? This was SOP in V9 (and pretty much any CAD or CAM package I've ever used) so why does it have to be so difficult with X4? mad.gif

Best I can tell, it works "sometimes." Definitely not with transform, as I have tried it with different files. No duplicate entities here as I know how to create a solid model. wink.gif

One more question: assuming I could get this to work, how can I choose between a full or partial chain, and turn on/off the plane mask? This is seriously frustrating, as it is such a PIA to choose individual entities every time.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice. Looks like I'll be calling my reseller in the morning, and maybe emailing him some files. That is why I pay maintenance, right?

I'm going to take a wild guess - when you're chaining... are you selecting solid edges, or wireframe geometry?

jim, from this question:

quote:

assuming I could get this to work, how can I choose between a full or partial chain, and turn on/off the plane mask? This is seriously frustrating, as it is such a PIA to choose individual entities every time.

(and not trying to sound condescending), you may want to take a training course, or get a training manual - you'll find yourself much less frustrated.

quote:

how can I choose between a full or partial chain,

hold down the shift key

click the first enitiy in the chain

and then

click the start of the last enitity

default chaining behaviour can be changed

at

Settings/System Config/Chaining

The X interface can be frusrtrating at first.

I believe there are some "getting aquainted" videos in the Version X download section of Mastercam's Support page.

They are worth your time to watch them

My dealer used to offer a free X introductory class, perhaps your does too.

The X inferface is far superior to V9's but it is totaly different. Once you get used to X4 you'll

hate V9

quote:

how can I choose between a full or partial chain, and turn on/off the plane mask? This is seriously frustrating, as it is such a PIA to choose individual entities every time.

Just taking a guess here, but Jim may be frustrated at the fact that the chain manager is not available for selecting geometry to X-form, change levels or colors, etc, like it was in V9. Yeah, I know about the shift key, but that only works on simple chains. Luckily, AI Utility has an icon for bringing up the chain manager for general geometry selection. I use it at least 20 times a day. I don't know why this was left out of X. bs.gif

Thad

My proposed method:

1. select Entity selection drop-down

2. right click on chain icon (right click makes the chain selection stick)

3. select the chains (entire chains will be selected or click on start of chain and then end of chain for partial chains)

4. select transform function.

quote:

One of the many mistakes I make every day is trying to select an entity when I have the "window" button right-clicked in the selection drop-down menu...

Steve,

I never touch that dropdown because all I ever use for chaining is full chain, partial chain, single or window. All of these can be accomplished without using the dropdown.

Hold down the shift key to select a full chain.

Hold down the shift key and select the first and last entity for a partial chain.

Click and drag if you want a window.

Click an entity if you want single.

wink.gif

Thad

Thanks again guys.

Thad, you hit the nail on the head. I guess I just didn't know how to properly describe the chain manager. (edit: I just found the AI Utility site. Will this work with X4 as well?)

Tyler, no offense taken. One of the reasons this is so frustrating is that I did the online training offered by Streamingteacher, and think I have a pretty good handle on the software. It's just these little things (that should be so simple) that trip me up every once in a while. Overall, X4 is leaps and bounds ahead of V9, as it should be.