Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1/8 Hole 2 3/4 deep 316SS

GoetzInd

Hey Dudes,

We have a part coming up that has 10 1/8 holes roughly 20D deep in 316 ss. Open tol. on the dia but we have a lot of parts to make. Machine has 400psi tsc which I think will be a limiting factor. Anyone have any recommendations on drills/set up

feeds and speeds?

Thanks,

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Titex Drill ALL THE WAY!!! Go to the low side of the feed/speed range with that low pressure. You shoudl be able to get a 20x D drill off the shelf. DON'T peck.

We do 20-30xD all day, every day. Our forte.

Titex is what we use.

I don't mean to be contrary, but we have found a G73 style peck works VERY well, even in 15-5. Specially on low PSI machines.

G83 will tend to chip the drill, but G73 works well.

quote:

Specially on low PSI machines.

G83 will tend to chip the drill, but G73 works well.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Maybe tool life won't be optimal but without high pressure im worried about chip evac. Are all you guys talking carbide for Titex? We've used a lot of their hss drills and they work awesome.

Mike

I was talking to a Titex rep on the phone the other day

he said that rapiding in and out of the hole is what chips the drill.

He said if you have to rapid in and out to slow the rpm down to 100rpm or so before pulling out

or rapiding back in.

I've been drilling some 5/16 x 8" deep holes in 304 this way. The hole passes through a cross hole about an inch in and the cross hole was beating up the drill.

I drilled through the cross hole with a shorter

(and cheaper ) drill then switch to the long through coolant carbide drill.

I run the spindle at 100 rpm, feed through the cross hole and start drill.. with a full retract peck every 1"

Its kind of a pain to code but its works well.