Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Are the Graphics Gonna be improved in X5?

Dave.L

With the integration of mastercam and solidworks, is it possible we could see that solidworks look migrate its way into the standalone mastercam?? I use catia for design. I want the bold crisp catia look, with the toolpaths and code of mastercam.

...Sigh... Wishfull thinking.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience comparing post cost from MCX to NX is an apple to oranges comparison. That is, people often say that the 4x cost of an NX post is just that, a post, when they are seeing the cost for full gcode driven machine simulation with cad models and the whole nine yards. As for just posts. NX has a secure ftp site with free downloadable post that other users have loaded up. Most do not have the machine sim configured, but neither does MCX. I used them for all my post in NX except for the few that I built from the ground up using their post builder app. The only post I really needed help was for the Star swiss type I was setting up.

Training was a bit more for a week of NX training than when I went to a MCX dealer for training.

Tech support from Siemens was great. I never went more than an hour or two without a returned call from them and most of the time a solution. However I will say that between this forum and the MCX dealers I have worked with the support is excellent for MCX also. cheers.gif

Dave, NX rocks. Graphics quality as good as SW. I don't know if it has the ability to customize everything that SW can as far as tweaking the eye candy, backgrounds and such, as I've only messed with it a little bit. As far as geo creation and tools, it blows away SW and has much more options and a HIGHER learning curve by far. Educational resources are few and far between for NX and are not cheap. Your almost in a exclusive club when your using NX proficiently opposed to SW, where learning tools and tips can be found everywhere, which is a huge bonus. NX is modular and you can purchase several options/levels (just like MC) of Machining packages with it that also Kick a$$, (or any other app developed by Siemens) .

SW seems to be ruling the roost at the moment and only gets better. I will say this though. IMO, if your shops requirements are satisfied with Mill Level 1 in MC, NX would be a waste of money, time, and resources. It's hard to beat MC for milling and drilling at the 2D stage.

MotorCity,

While we are currently only doing 2.5D work, the parts we produce are often complex. We are getting more involved with aerospace work - in fact just today I was given an opportunity on a titanium part that will require 3 axis tool paths. So, if I am going to look to add mill level 2 or 3, I will look to better the system altogether.

It’s a long story but when I purchased MC I needed to get going with CAM fast and it really was a quick and cost effective route and I don’t regret it. Similarly, we needed another quick solution for our Mori and I added Esprit just a few months ago.

I often compare SW to MasterCAM and Esprit as you may have noticed. Obviously SW is CAD and the others are CAM. But, what I am comparing is the level of software integrity, intuitiveness and ease of use. I absolutely love SW but I don’t feel the same about MC or Esprit. The only issue I have with SW is the measure tool – it is very limited. Aside from that, I am getting more experienced with it every day and I get more and more excited to use it. I want to have that same feeling with CAM and I don’t see that happening with MC or Esprit.

Esprit solved a need for me and I also have no regrets making that purchase – especially based on the help from the reseller and the pricing. For what I have spent on MC and Esprit so far has already had a good return on investment so if I replace both systems with one that can do the job well and I enjoy using the software like SW, then I am cool with that.

When I worked from GM I used UG for about 1 year doing machine design and product liaison work. That was in the mid 90’s and I really like UG as well but a lot’s changed in 15 years.

For my business, many of the programs we have done in MC are for parts that will never recur. So, to add a new system in the next 3-12 months would work well for us since most of what we are getting into is recurring aerospace work. With that said, now is a good time for me to investigate a long term solution especially when we are not under pressure since MC and Esprit are filling our needs now.

And, I have said this many times, purchasing software is the most difficult purchase since you really need to learn it before you buy it.

I spoke briefly with the NX reseller today and will be investigating it more. From our brief discussion, I don’t see NX costing much more than MC.

BTW, I have no intention to replace SW. I am only interested in NX CAM.