Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help!! I lost a 20mb file.

Lucky 7

I have never seen this one before. I opened an existing mc9 file. I did about 3 hours of modelling. I probably save the file about five times during that period. The last time I went to save it kicked me out of MC. I went to reopen the file and happened to look at the file size and it was at zero. I went ahead and tried to open the file anyway and I got a message that stated

"Incompatible version number. Run MC9 file converter"

Does any have any Ideas on how I can get my file back?

Any suggestions would be appriciated

Doh! eek.gif

I can sympathize. Never had this happen in nine but a few years ago on a Friday I did our normal daily backup of jobs and one of our designers worked late on a important job. He stayed late Friday, all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and came in early Monday morning. Ten Minutes before I get in his system crashed. bye bye file. frown.gif

After that we automated backups overnight. And through out the day the system backs up any file worked on in the last hour. At the most if a file is deleted or overwrote you loose an hours work.

Bryan

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Use I Autosave. I have it save under a different mane as well (mine is backup.mc9). I set mine to save every 10 or 15 minutes, I can't remember. Computers are strange things, it never hurts to make a backup.

HTHNT (Hope that helps next time)

The more I alter my imported file

(Trim surface,extend surface etc.)

The greater the risk of your temp file being

"Trashed" and you lose it all.

I save a back up ,like "core1" and "core1 backup"

and toggle between the two.

I only have to do this when I am really tearing the model apart and rebuilding it.

I also save to the network before I go home.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So lucky, have you set up Autosave yet? Do it NOW!!!! Press Alt+A and make your selection(s). If you don't understand what each selection does select the "?" in the upper righ-hand corner and select the checkbox/field you want to know more about.

HTH

DangBubba00, thats a great idea. I currently do that manually, especially if I'm working on a complex part. Like what happend to Lucky 7, if he had the autosave on, quite possibly he could have been writing a backup file that also had problems, since one of the features is that it overrights the same backup file every 15 mins.

Here is the chook that you are looking for:

tempsave

It was written for V7, but seems to work in V9.

no guarantee

Link TempSave.dll to a key assignment and you have a one-click file save feature.

Run TempName.dll to set the filename and the increment start value.

Link TempLoad.dll to a key assignment and you have a one-click retrieve last file feature.

Works great when doing a demo, as you can discreetly save and reload your file as needed.

The files are saved with a .MC7 extension.

Maybe the writer of this chook will come forward with a newer version. wink.gif