Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

no work

krystof

We have Work through Jan.

My friend's shop let 6 people go and he took a 10% pay cut.

Even with all this doom and gloom....

On my way home from work last saturday

I thought I would just step in and pick up a Brochure.Next thing you know

I traded in my 89 F 250 pickup for a 2002 F 150

Sport.(Made in Canada) wink.gif

Tony,

Perhaps you are unaware but the evil American managers have decided that Fat Lazy American workers deserve to produce trucks at a higher cost and lower quality, and profit levels. The Ontario Truck Plant in Oakville is slated to cease production of the F150 some time in the next few months.

That means that all the feeder plants that produced parts will also see declines in skill, jobs, and tax revenues. This is a direct result of the Nafta Free Trade agreements in which we here in Canada are stooped over so that the American's can have at us... If the entry angle is a little off, say something and we can grab a stool or something! Don't get me started at trying to order tooling or something where I have to pay in US dollars but sell my goods in Canadian Currency back to American customers!

Jack - Help me out here...

Hi Andrew,

Maybe instead of complaining about Americans you could use that good ol' Canadian engineering of yours and Conceive,Design, and Manufacture your own Canadian cars and trucks instead of bashing the people that were nice enough to give you work in the first place. Sorry to go off but you can't expect nothing less from us Fat Lazy Americans.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Things have been very busy here all year until this month, and then they just flatlined. The machine tool salesmen tell me the last 2 months have been very poor.

I guess LA is worse, according to the machinery salesmen.

San Diego is now a very diverse economy; so when some industries are down, others are up.

Businesses doing well include medical, some consumer goods, defense. Businesses doing poorly: telecom related equipment.

Jim,

Thanks, that was the point of my post to illustrate that the sovernty of our once great nation has been hand delivered to your people, for a pittance no less. Now I know how the Natives feel when their continent was over-run by Europeans.

This is not a complaint, just an observation. I also want to be paid in US dollars (Peg the exchange rate).

Chris - I wear Chain Mail Undercloths so the Kicking to which you refer has no effect.

Checking some facts last evening, the truck plant was only manufacturing overflow from the main US plant and also for the Domestic Canadian marketplace. Now the decision makes perfect sense and it is not a protectionist move in any way. Demand drops, overflow is now longer required and demand can be met within the original plant's capacity.

So Bridgeport Machines, is gone and Harig grinders will continue on its own, and they are shopping the name to a couple of buyers, I'm saddened that a true icon is gone, just like the Camaro, is going, and OH GOD, a front wheel drive Monte Carlo, wasn't bad enough. Now I know I’m getting old, time was I wouldn't give a **** about such things.

I know to well, that companies have to do their part to stay competitive. I finally went from the bottom of the food chain (maintenance) to the top (COO) running other peoples small companies (800 employees). Then I wanted to do my own, started with 12 grew to 80 employees. I learned things, they cannot teach you in school--40% of my customer base were fortune 1000 companies NOT PAYING THEIR BILLS ON TIME, and still calling to place orders for their out of USA production lines. More than once I found myself calling some CFO transplant from another country ( after accounting tried for 3 months) and telling him (I’m not producing for you till you pay and I am going to cut your molds in half after my lawyers get the judgment). You get to hang up the phone and reach in YOUR POCKET, to make the $ 36,500 payroll that week. All because Payroll, Suppliers, Rent and Utilities will not let you pay 60, 90, or in some cases 180 on $250,000. The small guys are smaller volume, but it was more personel, and they were better payers--In the same boat I figure!! So then I said the *** with it, and relocated outside the USA to avoid supporting drug addicts having large families without the responsibilities. Now I get the benefit of a tax exemption to the tune of the 1st 80g and I still work for a USA Fortune 500 company, get to come home monthly, And the best part is I enjoy what I do best, taking it from my imagination to reality in a high volume manufacturing environment, where a exceptional salary is about $1000 US dollars a month. That’s 1/2 my weekly pay (NO TAXES 1st 80g). I live VERY WELL. Better now than I ever did at any time in the U.S. Because the company does what it has to, to survive in these times ( in a American Free Trade Zone). MADE IN JAPAN so what??? IT could have & should have said MADE IN THE USA, but that ball was started right after WWII long before me. And before you wave the Flag at me, I’m 8 years, US Navy, Nuclear Propulsion Submarine, till I picked up too many rad’s to go out to sea, shore command wasn’t for me, so I opted out. Now I save as much as I can, so I can come back permanently to retire while I am still alive.

What else can we Wal-mart over-seas. My life is so different from my Father's, him a company man for 25 years, I wish, I could find a non-civil serice job that would stay around long enough to retire from.

confused.gif

The Ex-Pat

yaawwwooooiiiii... way too much negatism here. Our grandparents lived though a god-aweful depression (30% unemployment and not two pennies to rub together), and went on to save the world from the fascist and build the greatest and most vibrant economy the world has ever known.

No other economy innovates, adapts, and reinvents itself better than the American economy. Every other economy has its niche advantages too.

Personally, I've never been more optimistic in my life. Let's kick the c&^%* out of these terrorists turds, shoot the dicktators (sic) in the head, cure the rest of the diseases on the planet, build a 100 MPG car, a Mach 8 airliner, a Hotel in low earth orbit, and a flat panel TV I can afford!

This is a great time to be alive, and it's only going to get better. Now roll up your sleeves and buy, sell, invent, or make something.