Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Machining Centers

KJS

I may be new to Mastercam (and even newer to this forum!) but I have a lot of experience with Haas. The good news is that Haas is a great lightweiight machine. If you are cutting aluminum, beryilium copper, brass, etc. you'll love it cheers.gif . Materials such as titanium, heat treated 4140, or 304 sst, you will need to be carful of cutter size and your depth of cut. The machines are easy enough to do various repairs yourself (which will save you big money) and many of the replacement componets you can buy from Granger or other suppliers instead of Haas (which will save you even more!!!!!). Two big recomendations: 1) get the "thru spindle coolant" because once you get it, you can't live without it smile.gif and ; 2)find an independant machine repair tech, as Haas distributors tend to be expensive and if you are not able to fix it your self, it will get pricey. HTH!!!

Haas has a decent machine; there have been some flame-filled threads about them lately on this forum, though

Okuma has some screaming deals right now (ESV 4020 for about $65,000) and so do some of the other builders because business is so bad. Don't think that Haas is the only inexpensive way to go!

C

I'm right there with James and Godzilla. I've used them, think they're great. BUT, I haven't had good experience with service or machining steels the way they should be machined. And for the buck, the way the industry is right now, you could pick up a Mori, or the equivalent "Cadillac" of CNC mills for the same price.

Hi KJS,

Haas builds a good all-around VMC. On Moris cool.gif

You didn't say VMC or HMC but with things the way they are right now you should also look at "new" leftover equipment from others such as Mazak and Makino as well as Cinci,Mori,etc. Your the boss when it comes to buying right now.

Good Luck

[ 01-15-2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: iowajim62 ]

Working for a machine tool builder I would tell you that you need to compare apples to apples for your MONEY, what you really need now and in the future, what type of casting are they using, weight, standard features, whats a option, service, box way or linear, ect.

Do you really want to have a 0-3 yr throw away machine or a 0-15 yr money making machine.

My opinion.

Mike

0-3 year throw away machine? HAAS?

Heh. Sure, guy.

KJS, If you're not running hard metal all the time, and want a VERSATILE, RELIABLE, WELL SERVICED, ACCURATE, AFFORDABLE machine.. get a HAAS.

We just had 4 more VF3's dropped on the floor yesterday, all with 4th Axis. It's like Christmas all over again. biggrin.gif

'Rekd

we have Haas verticals and Mori horizontals and quite truthfully, we've had way more problems with the Mori's than the Haas's. And when a Mori goes down, you usually have to get the parts direct from Japan. From my experience, i would also say that tool life (or usage) is better on the Haas machine. I've never used a Haas horizontal or a Mori vertical (do they even make?), but if your looking at verticals a Haas is a good machine at a good price.

also, definately get the thru-coolant package and go with the smaller tool changer if that is feasible for you. we have a couple of the 32 tool changers and the bolts holding it up on the machine tend to bend or even break at times causing some frustration - especially when you are standing there with your back turned and the changer comes crashing down on the table and scares the crap out of you(not to mention probably shattering all the carbide cutters in the changer).

We have a VF-8 machine, and I wasn't enthusiastic when we purchased it. But over a period of 5 years I have to admit it was a good purchase. It has been a reliable machine, and service has been good when it has be needed. Good value for the money spent.

quote:

Wouldn't it be the Lexus or Acura of cnc machining centers, since it is Japanese?

Since a Lexus is just a Camry with walnut trim and an Acura is really an Accord; I'd stick with the Cadillac analogy (as long as you forget any Caddies built between 1970 and 1990)

I wasn't ripping Haas with my earlier post, just letting you know that other machine tools (like Okumas, of which we have several) are priced very competitively right now due to business conditions. Okuma also went to 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 or 7 years on control warranties.

C

[ 01-16-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Well, not all Lexus's are modified toyotas, in fact there are quite a few lexus only production models. Plus with alot of the lexus's you can get a v8. There quite a few non-imported Toyotas that are really cool, including the Toyota Supra, however, I don't know why I am continuing with the car part, since this post was about a Haas...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Most Mori Seiki parts are stocked in Dallas, Tx. at their US HQ. Mori Seiki is a family owned and operated business. "Mori Jr." took over for his dad a couple of years back. They are right now probably the most healthy of all the Machine Tool Builders. They are doing well enough to buy Hitachi Seiki. Hitachi would've gone bankrupt. As far as the problems biss03 encountered, that is not even the norm with Japanese Machine tools, by far the exception. Mori Seiki makes Horizontals, Verticals, but are mostly known for their Lathes. There is not a better lathe on the planet than a Mori Seiki. When it comes down to it, year after year, decade after decade, when you need to hold tenths all day long every day, you go to Mori. Period. This is why I would take an used Mori over a new Haas. We have 2 SH-630's, and 2 SH-500's. They run, and run, and run, and run. We're getting a 2 machine Linear Pallet Pool System soon as well to add to our collection because they perform so well. I'd also take an used Kitanura over a new Haas. Back about 6 years ago I worked in a shop that had them. They were 12-15 years old at the time, and we were still holding tenths all day long. Roundness of about .0002-.0003!!

JM2C

it all comes down to the type of parts your doing widgets +-.001 or high tollerence high dollar parts+-.0001 .001 buy the haas .0001 spend the big bucks and get the mori but plan on using that $$$ for along time or buy a middle of the road machine and up grade every 5 year and gain all the advantages of technology all gained in those five years faster spindals look ahead etc... etc...if iwas driving back and forth to a job every day 5 miles away id buy a chevy if i was on the road sales id buy the lexus just my .02

Haas has a incremental jog of .100TH ... eek.gif it scares the crap out of me to see the table move that fast using the jog wheel...And the darn thing over shoots like crazy, eek.gif Stay away from it!!! The controls are simple to use & the built in chip augers cool. tons of memory storage

Sometimes if I,m useing a long Hog EM 4"& heat bults up, My tool holder wont release from the spindal.....A nice little wack does the trick.

AND

!!!! THERE BETTER THAN FADALS !!!!!

quote:

Sometimes if I,m useing a long Hog EM 4"& heat bults up, My tool holder wont release from the spindal.....A nice little wack does the

up the air pressur in the back if tool sticks never wack it also white lithium grease sparingly on taper will fix that we rarly have that happen now flame away on that i know those moris never do that

I agree Mori is hardly a Caddy, But I will cast a Caddy vote for Makino,And as far as the Japanese thing a little research here-The Caddilac Catera

Built by toyota-yep its an american called avalon.

I have exp. with all these machines and please dont be offended but the Haas is a pretty good

disposable machine. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

But I will cast a Caddy vote for Makino,

Ahhh yes. Makino. Also a very fine machine. I woudld prefer an used Makino over a new Haas as well. Depending on what you do with them, they'll run for 15 years as well.