Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking into Mastercam

MachineSMMC

I am a current user of VX. It is a fairly new Cad/Cam package. You can check them out at www.vx.com

There design side is unbelievable and I don’t think Mastercam’s design can touch it. Unfortunately there cam side is seriously lacking. It often will take me hours to get one single roughing operation the way I want it. Granted I am still learning but from what I can tell they have a lot of work to do.

What I am looking for from you guys is some information to bring back to my supervisor to try to convince them to purchase Mastercam.

We make molds. We are currently getting started with a medical molding company that molds some really complicated parts. I would be using Mastercam to do some hard milling in 420 stainless and a lot of trode making.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Tellers

612-823-6477

[ 03-15-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: MachineSMMC ]

There are toooooooo many advantiges to MC for anyone here to write down. What you should to is go to Mastercam's home page and read the "What's new for V9", that will give you tons of info. If there is an operation specific question that you have about the software then post that. Your original post is to general.

Good luck!

cheers.gif

A good reply to your supervisors is

the available pool of trained users.

Today is the first time I've ever heard of VX

and I'm a CAD/CAM junky who keeps up on these things. tongue.gif

I'll bet there aren't 50 trained VX users in the country. There are thousands and thousands of Mastercam users,

making it much easier to find qualified people.

Ok, I have a specific question. Whos is using Mastercam to manufacture electrodes. How easy is it? How are the highspeed toolpaths? How smooth are the toolpaths?

Also, Does anyone use it to do hard milling? How is it workig for them?

Does anyone have any concerns with Mastercam?

Thanks again

Chris Tellers

MachineSMMC looking at the limk that Bullines gave you take a cood look at the add-onn Moldplus for mold and trod work.

I do suggest have the local Dealer come and do a demo on one of the file you are working on.

have them show you the roughing on the part that is take you so long.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As a former MC Reseller, in Southern California, Mastercam is by far the preferred CAD/CAM Software. Sure there are other packages. Some even have better toolpath options (was that out loud?) biggrin.gifBUT you will NEVER find a bigger user base, nor will you find a BETTER support solution for ANY software PERIOD.

Oh BTW, our company has Version 7 Mold Plus (I believe) and it ROCKS! We use it for making tools for the product we manufacture. We currently have 6 seats of Mastercam in our facility and we're probably going to be getting another seat in the next week or so.

HTH

MachineSMMC,

quote:

We make molds. We are currently getting started with a medical molding company that molds some really complicated parts. I would be using Mastercam to do some hard milling in 420 stainless and a lot of eletrode making.

Please do a search on this forum for any question regarding stainless machining, carbon or copper electrodes, and anything else you or your supervisor wish to seek. - The Mastercam forum covers all aspects from Mastercam to general machining and then some; We have the resources and the inherant expertise for the finest of both worlds - please feel free to ask any question and to realize a virtual immediate reponse from such.

We just recently hit a 5000 membership - these are real people asking real questions and hopefully receiving real solutions.

Welcome aboard. cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

MachineSMMC,

I have been using Mastercam since 1989 (v3) to machine injection molds and electrodes (I also do some other sruff now that I'm self employed).

Every version of MC gets better. I have demo'd MoldPlus in the past, but never worked for anyone willing to purchse it and my own pocket aren't that deep right now.

With MC Solids, I can break out electrodes from a core or cavity quickly, position them, machine them. My clients use mostly graphite, but a couple use Telco copper.

As to finishes, it is a matter of selecting the parameters in MC and how much time you can devote to having the piece on the machine.

Get MC. I have use Pro Machinist, Surfcam, Smartcam, Bobcad, and Cimatron. For the money, MC can't be beat.

Jerry how can you make this statment (but never worked for anyone willing to purchse it)I have been using moldplus sense about 94 to do molds to production parts and it is a great tool .

saves many of hours of work.

I have known many of mold shops that have used and live buy it.

I am not saying you can't do most of the same work without it,but for sure it speeds the process up and save many of hours of guess work and time along with being much easer then without..

Hi Chris

quote:

Does anyone have any concerns with Mastercam?

I personaly have use the Mastercam to show up and cut anything that I have been asked to make since 1985 V0..

I use only Mastercam---From conception to the pallet---I will make anything, for anyone that has a check.

quote:

How smooth are the toolpaths?

I can make Smooth tool paths (MT11020)with just a little bead blasting.Any finish better than that will need to hand polished.

quote:

Does anyone use it to do hard milling?

If you mean when you program the cavity to be cut in the solid,,,This is my personal preference. Then I use poco2 for the difference.

quote:

How easy is it?

When you are doing really complicated moulds for medical parts --- Mastercam will have an easy time of it---but a new user will need a good support team.

In the hands of even a novice userer the Mold Plus is an handy addition to Mastercam.Just the solid seperate feature can save a guy a day on the right part.

[ 03-16-2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Ill just throw my $.02 in.

With the associative toolpaths for both 2 1/2 axis as well as multisurface toolpath, I find tweaking my toolpaths to be exactly what I want to be a breeze for most work. Even if I decide I want to sacrifice surface finish for speed after taking a few cuts, A couple clicks to alter the parameters and regen the toolpath repost it and off we go. The solid toolpath associativity allows you to easily refine your toolpath rather than "settling" for something close.

It wasnt clear to me how associative the VX toolpathing was, but Ive never spent hours getting a pocket toolpath how I want it in MC.

Your assessment of MC's stregth for design function may well be true although I must admit Ive never really tried hard to do all of my design in MC since we use another system for design. Lastly you will probably fins that the interface of MC is somewhat "Eighties" (ducking to avoid getting hit with wrenches and vice jaws thrown by the loyalist biggrin.gif ). Whereas a program like VX that was developed more recently may incorporate the latest slick interface features.

I personally dont find this to be that big of a deal since CAM is a "special purpose" software and its user will become proficient in the software regardless of the menustructure, toolbars and various bells and whistles.

It seems to me that MC has devoted their resources to improving the "Real" functionality of the program over the years. The addition of associativity, first 2 1/2 axis then 3 axis, the addition of solids, ever enhanced toolpath options, high speed strategies, these are the functions that show up in the bottom line. I have alwas been pleased that MC has continued to improve the product for the user base rather than spend resources on features that show well but arent of much use to the majority of the userbase.

I have always felt that this commitment was reflected in MC's update policy. No contract, "pay as you go" encourages them to continue to provide "Real" functionality enhancements.

[ 03-16-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]