Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T but i'm curious

biss03

without getting into personal feelings about whether we should be going to war or not, how are people feeling about the war with Iraq. we have such a vast array of locations from which forum users come from and i was interested in seeing how many people are worried about their safety in the particuliar city they live in. i for example don't live in a large city but we do have a company that supplies tanks to the military. i'm unsure about how likely of a target we are for retaliation.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we (the US) made a huge mistake. We had an opportunity to go in and remove a type of cancer 10 years ago and we didn't.

I am left to wonder; had there been a country like US that stood up for others that are less fortunate 60+ years ago, and they had gone into Germany and removed Hitler before he started his world domination kick, would we have had WWII ??

I see the same thing on a smaller scale happening here. Saddam is trash. Lets take him out.

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm not too concerned for me or my family's safety. Where we live is relatively far from any "statements" that some nut ball(s) would most likely make. Don't get me wrong, I keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary but I kind of have to be realistic about the "real risk" vs. the "percieved risk".

I do believe that war is the right thing in this particular instance. The middle east is a very volitile(sp?) region of the world and obviously xxxx (SIC) has not shown himself able to play nice with the other kids in the neighborhood, and he's not been able to excercise good judgement with the weapons at his disposal, therefore he must removed from power, and hopefully removed from this planet. I don't think we should allow him to go out in a blaze of glory. We must humiliate him publicly so as to send a message to the others waiting to take his place.

JM2C

biss03,

While not agreeing that we should be the world's "police" or watchdog for freedom on a global scale, I do believe that dictators such as Saddam Hussein are a cancer to this world and should be eliminated. This does not necessarily mean killed, just maimed and permanently removed from any position of power. There are worse things than death. More years suffering on this planet would also prolong the start of the eternal suffering waiting for him in the bowels of Hell.

I have not served in the millitary myself. I do have older brothers, and friends, who are presently serving, or have served our fine country. Many of them are in areas known as "support services" and generally will never see "action". I hope they never do because I would miss them if they didn't come back. I support their committment to put their lives on the line for our freedom in this country. I would also like to thank each and every service member for the great job that they do to protect our freedom.

That being said, I believe we do our service men and women a huge disservice to alert the enemy where our millitary manufacturing plants are located across this nation. As a slogan of WW2 stated: "Loose Lips Sink Ships". If Iraq, or any other terrorist state retaliates, let's not give them the knowledge where it will hurt us the most. Free information cannot be controlled as to where it ends up. JMHO cheers.gif

I have but only one regret, and that is that the problem should have been taken care of during desert storm. By now we would have a great vacation spot with a 30,000 hole golf resort over there if the problem would have been dealt with the way it should have been. No more slapping on the wrist and saying "now dont do that any more".

Here I am between the CDC and a major weapons disposal depot and just about 15 miles down the road there is a major natural gas pipeline and storage facility. So I would think that it is likely that something could or may happen close by.

Let's wipe 'em out. Put up a nice little "oasis" for the yearly MC dealer conference. The rest of the year, it would belong to the wonderful forum members we have here.

I do and do not believe we should be at war. At the moment, yes. Let's rid the earth of this problem. However, I am sick and tired of the USA sticking up for countries all over only to be hated by that same country the following year. I wish Bush would shut the door on everyone except for the US and it immediate neighboring countries. Let's see how the rest of the world gets along when we are not there to lend a helping hand. We should set a few 1000 miles or so perimeter around us. If you cross the line, no questions asked. You just signed your death warrant cheers.gif

I am not a bitter person by nature, but enough is enough. If the rest of the world can not figure out a way to stop fighting after thousands of years, or grow there own food, or correct there own economy, why should we care. Let them kill themselves off and then they are no longer a threat to anyone except themselves and the other morons that live next to them.

I am sure that I will have pissed someone off with this, but HEY, I am an AMERICAN and I don't give a sh!t anymore. Let's take care of ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm especially peeved at the French. Ungrateful BA$+@RD$. If it were not for us entering WWII, they would be eating kraut and celebrating Oktoberfest annually. It makes me want to change my last name and reject my heritage. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

quote:

I am sick and tired of the USA sticking up for countries all over

Trevor, I do agree with that statement, we ARE sticking up for ourselves here. Sadom does pose a direct threat to our country and our way of life. HE harbord and aided Slobnthynobbin and his cult, and allowed them a place to plan 9/11, that is enough for me to want to release him from his power, and the air he breathes.

James, be proud of your heritage and were you come from, but also be proud of what you have become!! You did not follow the french mentality of duckn and runnin.

God bless the troops of the RED, WHITE, & BLUE!

[ 03-18-2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

Our goverment made an order to prepare for possible missile strike ,to prepare shelters and all the @#$%.

Finished to prepare shelter.

It is hermetic concrete room .

I hope we will not use it .But anyway the moral is high and no panic ,just waiting for the moment of truth .

And if this S.O.B will strike us once more ,this time we will retaliate !

My computer with upc is in shelter so you can get the developments from there no matter what.

As long as our standard of living is not supported by the amount of human effort we collectively put back in to the system, then we will have to take additional resources by force if nessesary. Meanwhile its great for business, I'm swamped. I just hope the so-called war will continue to ensure lower gas prices for all Americans. As far as being afraid, I don't think we Americans have as much to fear from the world as the world has to fear from us.

quote:

I think we (the US) made a huge mistake. We had an opportunity to go in and remove a type of cancer 10 years ago and we didn't.

Yes we did. If you remember the United Nothings resolution for Desert Storm was to evict Saddam from Kuwait. Saddam was ejected; Swarzkaf wanted to march on Baghdad but was pulled back because the United Nothings resolution was fulfilled. We will not make the same mistake again.

quote:

I am sure that I will have pissed someone off with this, but HEY, I am an AMERICAN and I don't give a sh!t anymore. Let's take care of ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS ROLL

John

Trevor said:

quote:

I do and do not believe we should be at war. At the moment, yes. Let's rid the earth of this problem. However, I am sick and tired of the USA sticking up for countries all over only to be hated by that same country the following year. I wish Bush would shut the door on everyone except for the US and it immediate neighboring countries. Let's see how the rest of the world gets along when we are not there to lend a helping hand. We should set a few 1000 miles or so perimeter around us. If you cross the line, no questions asked. You just signed your death warrant

I love this idea Trev.

But first lets throw the non citizens sucking off of us, out first!

(IMO... if you supposedly love living in this

country,then you should have no problem wanting to become a citizen)!

quote:

You won't hear a peep outta me! cool.gif

This is a real refreshing thread after all the Bull $%#@ media coverage and people protesting the departure of troops at our local bases. More support like the ones above should be displayed by the media. The families of our soldiers should not have to watch OVER and OVER the same lame @^% whining that is clearly a minority opinion in and around our country. I say support us or leave us, its that simple. Its how we got our freedom and how we need to keep it.

cheers.gif to the troops, their families and all supportive people and their countries

Gary

John,

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes we did. If you remember the United Nothings resolution for Desert Storm was to evict Saddam from Kuwait. Saddam was ejected; Swarzkaf wanted to march on Baghdad but was pulled back because the United Nothings resolution was fulfilled. We will not make the same mistake again.

My statement was that we made a mistake. Which we did. Regardless of why we made the mistake, or who prompted US not to do what needed to be done, we still made the mistake. Look at the last sentance in that quote.. "We will not make the same mistake again.".

I don't care if the UN said no, or Congress or Russia or even Elvis himself said no, we still made the mistake and it's costing us now... It would have been SOO F'n easy to send a couple well trained boys in to clean up after the big rukus! mad.gif

I support our country and our troops. I have served in the US armed forces. I am noncommittal on whether our President is doing the correct thing.

I agree with Norman Schwarzkopf's statement “Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordion” or words to that effect.

I am not French. Please do not flame me for what you are about to read.

quote:

I'm especially peeved at the French. Ungrateful BA$+@RD$. If it were not for us entering WWII, they would be eating kraut and celebrating Oktoberfest annually.

However, I would like to point out that the French have played a significant role in American history. American’s memories seem to be quite short. If it were not for the French there would be no United States of America. We would have more then likely lost the Revolutionary War. We could still be a British colony. Please take a few minutes to refresh your memory and read the chronological information of the last few months of the Revolutionary War. Please note the many reference to French troops, ships, and leaders.

So when we bad mouth the French and we all like to me included, please remember that yes we did save there butts in WWII. But they save our butts in the American Revolution.

May 21, 1781 - Gen. Washington and French Gen. Rochambeau meet in Connecticut for a war council. Gen Rochambeau reluctantly agrees to Washington's plan for a joint French naval and American ground attack on New York.

June 10, 1781 - American troops under Marquis de Lafayette, Gen. Anthony Wayne and Baron von Steuben begin to form a combined force in Virginia to oppose British forces under Benedict Arnold and Gen. Cornwallis.

August 1, 1781 - After several months of chasing Gen. Greene's army without much success, Gen. Cornwallis and his 10,000 tired soldiers arrive to seek rest at the small port of Yorktown, Virginia, on the Chesapeake Bay. He then establishes a base to communicate by sea with Gen. Clinton's forces in New York.

August 14, 1781 - Gen. Washington abruptly changes plans and abandons the attack on New York in favor of Yorktown after receiving a letter from French Admiral Count de Grasse indicating his entire 29-ship French fleet with 3000 soldiers is now heading for the Chesapeake Bay near Cornwallis. Gen. Washington then coordinates with Gen. Rochambeau to rush their best troops south to Virginia to destroy the British position in Yorktown.

August 30, 1781 - Count de Grasse's French fleet arrives off Yorktown, Virginia. De Grasse then lands troops near Yorktown, linking with Lafayette's American troops to cut Cornwallis off from any retreat by land.

September 1, 1781 - The troops of Washington and Rochambeau arrive at Philadelphia.

September 5-8, 1781 - Off Yorktown, a major naval battle between the French fleet of de Grasse and the outnumbered British fleet of Adm. Thomas Graves results in a victory for de Grasse. The British fleet retreats to New York for reinforcements, leaving the French fleet in control of the Chesapeake. The French fleet establishes a blockade, cutting Cornwallis off from any retreat by sea. French naval reinforcements then arrive from Newport.

September 14-24, 1781 - De Grasse sends his ships up the Chesapeake Bay to transport the armies of Washington and Rochambeau to Yorktown.

September 28, 1781 - Gen. Washington, with a combined Allied army of 17,000 men, begins the siege of Yorktown. French cannons bombard Gen. Cornwallis and his 9000 men day and night while the Allied lines slowly advance and encircle them. British supplies run dangerously low.

October 17, 1781 - As Yorktown is about to be taken, the British send out a flag of truce. Gen. Washington and Gen. Cornwallis then work out terms of surrender.

Sorry for the long post. I have wanted to get that off my chest.

James:

Please no offence intended by the reference to your post. This is not personal.

Reference:

The History Place

[ 03-19-2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

No ofense taken. I am in fact grateful to them for their actions in the Revolutionary War, but alas your memory is also short, does the War of 1812 ring a bell??? wink.gifwink.gif

Kidding aside, they (The French) should be ashamed of themselves. They are attempting to allow a "Hitleresque" dictator to remain in power. Though his atrocities pale in comparison to Hitler's but I don not think the World should give xxxx a chance to "catch up" to Hitler's mis-deedds. The French are positively shameful, positively shameful...

For all the intellegence in this forum, I CANNOT beleive you all are letting this wool to be pulled over your eyes.....Please get some perspective....

North Korea is brazenly strutting it's nuclear capabilities, openly saying that within 1 year it will be fully capable of launching a nuclear attack. Talk about violations! Meanwhile we are chasing our tails around Iraq in a seach of "weapons of mass destruction", and have yet to produce ANY PROOF WHATSOEVER...unfounded speculations and inconclusive spy photos do not count as proof!!! Bush has NEVER shown ANY PROOF of these so called weapons. North Korea is openly telling the world it is in full production of "weapons of mass destruction". No proof needed there. If this truly is a war to protect the security of America, what the hell is Iraq's stone age army have that we cannot deal with? Meanwhile, N. Korea will be able to launch the proof right into our heartland. Now tell me, what is the bigger "threat to nation's security".

Why the hell are we spending 500 million dollars a day in the middle east (that's 1 billion every two days), while 20 men can strut into our country with a couple thousand bucks, and cause more damage to our nation than we could ever fathom...9-11-2001...Please please tell me what in the hell 300,000 of our men and women overseas can do to prevent a reoccurence of that. All of our power and muscle, fistwaving and flagwaving, military industrial complex and "homeland security", will not prevent another 9-11. Our countries actions are only leading to more bloodshead...and it is most certainly going to be our own, terror retailiation. If Bush was truly concerned about the saftey of America, he would start by protecting our own soil, instead of taking other's. Unfortunatly this one is not going to end like all the Hollywood movies, where we American's with the biggest guns all live happily ever after....our cinematic fantasy is going to come crashing down, I'm afraid.

thank's for the great forum y'all!

I wouldn't worry about North korea. They're going to get taken care of shortly, than Iran. North Korea is starved of attention as well as broke with absolutely no economy whatsoever. They want President Bush to give them his full attention with strictly "bilateral talks", NOT "unilateral" talks between many nations. They believe the President is too busy with Iraq, and that he isn't giving them any attention. There like the kid in school who know's the answer to a question and is jumping up and down waiting for the teacher to call on him, but the teacher ignore's him. They say ONLY talks between Washington and them is going to solve this problem. They have broken several treaties that were put into effect whereby the US gave them a tremendous amount of financial aid in return for them to agree not to persue nuke's. They agreed to shut down one of their plant's in return for hundreds of millions in aid, than they open a new plant just a few miles away producing the same material that they agreed to stop producing in the first plant. They are trying to bribe us for money, and President Bush isn't going to go for it like President Clinton did. I'm positive when they get a little bit closer to actually being able to build these nuke's, we will hit them, and hit them hard. I believe it will take place before the summer. There is absolutly NO WAY they will be allowed to export a single 'nuke.

As for Iraq, I spent almost ten years in the military and served in Desert Storm. Yes, it was a major mistake not going in to Baghdad and taking Saddam out. President Bush Sr. has already stated that. But at the time, everyone believed with Saddam's army decimated, a large part of his weapons destroyed, and the sanctions that were going to follow, that Saddam, if he survived would be rendered harmless. It was a miscalculation, and I believe we should've gone right back in after he kicked the UN inspectors out in the mid 90's, and he wouldn't be anywhere as dangerous as he is going to be now. But with that said, I know we have the best trained soldiers in the world, and the most advanced weaponry, so I believe it isn't going to be a long battle. I really hope we find large deposits of weapons of mass destruction, and that the Iraq civilians are dancing in the street when they are liberated. That will be the best revenge on the French as well as the useless UN.

Although I disagree with the protesters and Hollywood celeb's, I believe protesting is their right. I just hope when the bombs start dropping, they all shut up and support our troops. It's a reality that some of them are not going to come home walking, and to those Godspeed!!!

[ 03-19-2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: DrewG ]

General George S Patton summed it up best when he said he'd rather have a German division in front of him then a Frech division behind him. I don't mean to sound insulting on the forum but its a disgrace the way the French are acting.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Nice "arguement" Drew. I'd also like to a couple of things.

If we were to show the world EXACTLY what we know, this would compromise our intelligence gathering capabilities which I AM NOT in favor of doing, EVER. The government's need for secrecy in THESE types of matters (National Security et al) far outweigh our "Right" to know what our Government is capable of. Many in this forum due to the nauture of our work know too much already. I'm confident that that case HAS been made for war and xxxx's time has expired. He is a pedestrian on the Bullet Train's track and the Bullet is due to arrive any minute.

DrewG said:

quote:

I really hope we find large deposits of weapons of mass destruction, and that the Iraq civilians are dancing in the street when they are liberated

I to hope we can find the "hidden weapons" just

so we can "RUB IT IN THE FACE" to those idiots

who seem to think that Saddam is such a nice guy

and "complying to the disarmament".

And another thing while we are on the subject:

Why is it that these "peace seeking moron protestors" are the ones who are getting arrested

out in the streets?

I don't see the people in favor of Saddams removal

getting hand cuffed........ wink.gif

quote:

I believe protesting is their right

Their right?!?!, are you kidding me? These people will protest a bowel movement if it gives them a chance to be on TV. Most of them don't even fully understand a given situation that they might be protesting for... Some of you may recall a few weeks ago when a terrorist got on a bus full of TEENAGERS, sat for 15 minutes waiting for the right moment, and destroys the bus with a bomb. THE VERY SAME DAY, in San Diego, there were school children protesting in the streets with signs that had slogans like "Bush, how many children did you kill today?" and "Peace, not War". Are these "protesters" completely stupid?

For those that don't see the irony here, it's Bush that's trying to SAVE children. And if you would like more events like 9/11, then you just sit down and do nothing while other idiots in Iraq, and other mideast countries support people that attack US.

And war, as we know it, has changed. We do not know who exactally our enemies are, or what country they're hiding in. War today is hidden among us, and if killing Saddam helps us in that war, then GO TAKE HIM OUT, along with anyone else supporting ANYONE that opposes US.

'Rekd teh Destroyer

[ 03-19-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

quote:

ring a bell???

If I could have made the Liberty bell it wouldn't have cracked.

quote:

This is a real refreshing thread after all the Bull $%#@ media coverage and people protesting the departure of troops at our local bases.

I have Family(Jason) their right now, and I do not care for tihs common media statement

"" I support our troops BUT""

(fill in personal opinion here)

"I support our troops"

((and then shut up))