Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Surface Footage

Rekd™

Hey! Do youm ind me interjecting a relative question?

Let's say a 3/8 EM can handle 2020 SF with a 0.008 Chip Load (20576 RPM, 329.0 IPM), 'course this is suggested, and not something I've ever seen. Anyhow's, so you take your formula and come up with that and low and behold your spindle only goes up to 9000 RPM, bumping you down to 883 SF and 144 IPM. So the big question I am wondering is: What's the consensus for reducing chip load/feed rate to accomidate for your reduced spindle speed? Do you keep it the same? Or do you cut it back a certain percentage?

Slick

Assuming you're saying that you have a 2FL mill that'll take .008/tooth (which seems like a hell of a lot for a 3/8 endmill) then: yes, I would run it at the 9000 RPM of the machine and 144 IPM.

We have to do that a lot in aluminum because we only have 10,000 max RPM in our fastest machine.

C

quote:

No it's Rek'd being coincidentally funny I think.

Jim wins.

It just made me grin when I saw it, thought I'd see what happened if I posted it. biggrin.gif

The thread actually turned out interesting. cool.gif

quote:

What are you cutting Matt? Why is feed/speed so slow?

Some 303. We're gonna try some new EMs tomorrow that have 2 of the 4 flutes at a differen angle, (looking at the end of the EM, flutes are usually rotated 90 degrees on a 4fl, this one has 2 flutes at like 80 degrees). They guarentee them to run 1 dia deep at 300-380 sfm. We'll see.

'Rekd teh "You can tell a lot about a person by the Speeds/Feeds they use."

[ 04-22-2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Funny how numbers can work out

I actually had a program that had this line in it:

G00 X1.234 Z1.234 M08

I didn't see it when I set the job up; the operator came in after the job was done and said, "I looked at that line about 10 minutes before I was sure it wasn't a joke."

Who could blame him?

quote:

Funny how numbers can work out

Agreed.

Seems every time I look at the clock it's 12:34. Parts with holes at .666 usually get changed depending on the tolerances.

Remember where you were at this time on this day.. 12:34:56 7/8/90

'Rekd teh "Add the ascii values for "William Henry Gates III" and you're in for a surprise.."

[ 04-22-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

quote:

Add the ascii values for "William Henry Gates III" and you're in for a surprise.."

And if you divide by 666 and parse it back out ...

Lessee ... hmmm uhh huhhh carry the 1 ....

SATAN OWNS ALL SOFTWARE spooky eek.gif

But really to follow up on Rekd's Bill Gates Thing Check THIS out.

[ 04-22-2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: CPeast ]

Hi Rek'd,

quote:

Some 303. We're gonna try some new EMs tomorrow that have 2 of the 4 flutes at a differen angle, (looking at the end of the EM, flutes are usually rotated 90 degrees on a 4fl, this one has 2 flutes at like 80 degrees). They guarentee them to run 1 dia deep at 300-380 sfm. We'll see.

Is this those new Varimills from Hanita ?

quote:

Is this those new Varimills from Hanita ?

Yeah. Fired them up this morning.

So far so good; running around 3012 rpm x 30. ipm. (A bit conservative because I'm holding the short side of a 1 x 3 inch part.) Had to bump my torque wrench up a few notches too. Luckily it seems to have reduced the tool stress enough so that the extra torque isn't making the part deform too much more than it was.

I'll keep you posted. For the price they seem to remove metal well, we'll see how the "200% Increase in Tool Life" holds up.. I got 30ish parts out of the first hogger, so if this finishes the run of 90 I'll buy 'em.

'Rekd teh I love the smell of hot steel chips in the mornin'

quote:

Any noticable difference in spindle load ?

Yes. About 10-15%. You can prolly reduce the chip load a bit to help with your lack of, um... I'll leave that one alone. biggrin.gif (I remember on the old Fadals I used to use, we would run the spindle at about 95% over-ride to increase the power to the spindle, helped from boggin' it down...)

Chip evacuation is also better. (Important on a VMC). The cycle time dropped about 20% as well. Now all that's left is the longevity.

'Rekd teh Anticipation

[ 04-23-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]