Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lead-in/out issues

Marshal

We've just about got our new router figured out (AXYZ/Pacer, with A2MC controller), but when I try to run a simple test program (6" square at zero depth) with lead-in/out, it doesn't do it right. Instead of doing a 90-degree arc with a radius of 0.125" like I've programmed, it does a full circle of about 6", and returns to the point where it should enter the contour and does the square, then does nothing for a lead-out, just retracts straight up.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? I don't see anything in the code that would make it do this, but I'm still very new to this.

%
(PROGRAM NAME -  TEST3 )
(DATE=DD-MM-YY -  20-01-11  TIME=HH:MM -  13:20 )
(   1/8 STRAIGHT BIT   )
( TOOL - 1  DIA. OFF. - 0  LEN. - 0  DIA. - .125 )
N100 G20 G90
N102 T1
N104 S18000 M03
N106 G0 G90 X2.875 Y.3125
N108 Z.25
N110 Z.1
N112 G1 Z0. F100.
N114 Y.1875 F200.
N116 G3 X3. Y.0625 I.125 J0.
N118 G1 X5.9375
N120 Y5.9375
N122 X.0625
N124 Y.0625
N126 X3.
N128 G3 X3.125 Y.1875 I0. J.125
N130 G1 Y.3125
N132 Z.1 F100.
N134 G0 Z.25
N136 M05
N138 M30
%

I can not see any compensation in your program, check if you have that set in your toolpath.

G40 G41 or G42

I've got "computer" under comp type, and "left" under comp direction, assuming that's what you're talking about.

The post we have I had to modify slightly to get it to use the reference points we programmed on the router (G55, G56, etc.), but nothing in the area I modified had anything to do with compensation.

Your TEST code looks good for what you descibe for a machine that does arcs ( delta start of arc to arc centre ),

BUT, it may need to be the other way round,,,or you may be able to use signed R instead of IJK

What's giving the 6" diameter lead-in arc....mastercam graphics or the machine

Your TEST code looks good for what you descibe for a machine that does arcs ( delta start of arc to arc centre ),

BUT, it may need to be the other way round,,,or you may be able to use signed R instead of IJK

What's giving the 6" diameter lead-in arc....mastercam graphics or the machine

yeah, our dealer mentioned changing it to use R instead, so I did that. It works great now.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

BIG MISTAKE - Your next problem will be inaccurate tool paths.....IJK is WAYYYYY more accurate than R

like what kind of accuracy changes are we talking about? This router is no slouch, it's supposed to be more accurate than a lot of mills.

And if the controller doesn't cooperate with IJK, what else can I do?

Marshal, when using R verse IJK, you will get less accurate tool paths. I had a situation a number of years ago where the tool path was off over .010" by using R values.

I have no experience with the control you are using but I would bet IJK will work if set proper. Work with your reseller or contact the control manufacture.

Marshal, when using R verse IJK, you will get less accurate tool paths. I had a situation a number of years ago where the tool path was off over .010" by using R values.

I have no experience with the control you are using but I would bet IJK will work if set proper. Work with your reseller or contact the control manufacture.

I'll give it a shot. The post the reseller changed looks like it left it at IJK, so I'm going to try it and see what happens

One of the issues you may encounter when using R instead of IJK

4-25-200909-33-08.jpg

I think using R just caused a problem for me, came out with an oblong hole instead of round. I'm going to have to see if I can get the router to use IJK instead. Stupid thing is driving me insane!

Marshall, is your control def/post breaking your arcs? I have been using R's for years (breaking them at quadrants) and the 1 time I had a problem it was because the operator started running the program in the middle of the toolpath. Never had an oval shaped arc or any of the other stuff described above.

Marshall, is your control def/post breaking your arcs? I have been using R's for years (breaking them at quadrants) and the 1 time I had a problem it was because the operator started running the program in the middle of the toolpath. Never had an oval shaped arc or any of the other stuff described above.

It looks like it must be breaking the arcs. I come out with 4 lines of code to make the circle, which to me means it's breaking it into quadrants.

Basically what I'm trying to do at the moment is make a 1/16" endmill create a 0.128" hole. There's obviously not much room for error there, and it's getting to the point that I might as well just use a drill bit (that's what I do on the mill with this product). But the stupid thing should be able to make a round hole.

I need to find out if there's a way to use IJK with the controller on the router (A2MC). I tried 3 different ways just now, using IJK, using R, and using Signed R. IJK doesn't work at all, it creates a giant circle. R and Signed R make a slightly oblong hole.

I would be calling whoever sold it to you at this point.... you should not have to pull this much hair out to cut a circle.

well, it's a combination of my general lack of experience, the odd controller on the machine, and probably the post we are currently using. I have no doubt the router can do a simple circle if it's got the right gcode. It better, considering the price and the sophistication of it.

Just a thought, is your arc configuration using IJK is set to delta start to center or whatever your machine takes. I have seen machine using delta center to start.

HTH

well, I think it was set on delta start to center at first. I didn't even notice the other option in there, and I might give it a try once I get the post back in line.

well, I think it was set on delta start to center at first. I didn't even notice the other option in there, and I might give it a try once I get the post back in line.

Marshal,

What you need to do is speak with the control mfg and see how they need the code formatted for IJK. Then, config MC to output what you need. You will drive yourself nuts doing it any other way.