Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Files saving over other files in X5

CarbonCAD

In the last couple of days I have had files be overwritten by other files unintentionally. So I checked every thing out. I did not do a "save as", I did not have two sessions open, and two people were not working on it at the same time. My backups go back far enough to save some work, but my autosave is directed to a file that is only blank. Has anyone had this problem, or any solutions?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I found out what was happening. I worked on a large file and before I opened another I would hit the little disk icon to save. On these large files it took maybe 5 sec to save and it did not indicate the whole 5 sec it was saving. I then opened another file faster than it could finish saving. This caused the file being opened to be saved as the file being saved. I could repeat the error and I have had no problems in two days.

• 2 months later...

When I hit the save icon I can move to the file pulldown menu before the icon is depressed. The pulldown menu then covers up the save icon. I moved the save icon to the other side of the screen. I have not had problems lately, but we have a new machine the same as mine and it is doing the same thing except he can not hit the save icon and then open the file pulldown right away until it is done saving. The new machine has overwritten a couple files already today. I contacted our reseller and them seem boggled by it too. hmmm... Any ideas as to what is causing this? Are we doing something wrong besides what has been already discussed? Representatives of CNC Software have you seen anything like this?

You are doing nothing wrong, other than being quicker than the save.

I had this problem starting in X4MU3. But it also coincided with moving to Win7, so I don't know the culprit.

I just got into the habit OF WAITING until the save icon comes back.

• 3 weeks later...

This just bite me this morning.. I saved a file and opened another before the first file saved completely and Mastercam changed the new file to the old (file being saved) name and saved over it. What a PITA! If I didnt have file backup and previous versions on the server, I would be screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into this “once” a few months ago as well. It appears to be a timing issue where you are able to get to the "File Open" or "File New" before the save has been completed. Programming made a slight change to the way the file save works in X6 that should prevent this from happening in the future. I banged on it for a few hours here and so far have been unable to reproduce the issue a second time.