Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic mill/Optirough help

cobra95kev

So, 1" DOC .375 radial with a .02 chip load (still 1528 ipm.) @25000 rpm would get you up to 560 cim.

If I'm using my power consumption formula correct this would require a spindle with around 100kW. The MAG3 only has 80kW ( if it has the big HSK-F80 spindle )

I've heard MMR around 490 Cu/in per minute on MAG3's. I would like to see a machine that can handle 1000 Cu/in per minute. My guess is that this machine needs to have around 170kW. Fischer Precise Group has a 20k spindle with 150kW but that isn't enough.

Correction, the Fischer spindle with 150kW can pull 187kW @ 15k in the S6 ( 40% ) range. So this spindle should be capable of removing 1000 Cu/in per minute.

All I can say is !WOW!.. 850 CIM with a 3/4 endmill is what seems excessive to me. I would love to see it in action. Ive seen some cool videos using 2" diameter + cutters on some very large machines hauling xxxx in aluminum! None of our machinery could even come close... :D

1000IPM is also max feed for a MAG3.

The MAG3 comes with 2 different spindles, either a HSK-F63 60kW with 30.000rpm or the more powerfull HSK-F80 80kW with 33.000rpm.

You also need to keep in mind that it has max kW @ max rpm. If you lower your rpm your kW will also drop because of the linear power curve these machines have.

For the 80kW version I think 490 Cu/in per minute is max and for the 60kW version it's around 370 Cu/in per minute.

A friend of mine used to work for a company where they had both version. But in the end the 60kW was upgraded to the more powerfull version, this also required a new toolchanger because of the bigger tools. Quite expensive swap.

Well I ran the test with a 1" generic 2 fl carbide endmill .900 Axial .250 Radial and 577 IPM. It ran real nice almost silent never using more than about 25% of the spindle meter. I think I could probably even get away with increasing the radial stepover to .375 and leave the depth the same. It sounded that good!

The bad:

The surface rough pocket toolpath beat the dynamic toolpath in runtime. I ran it on the same geometry at 450 IPM with 80% stepover and .250 stepdown. The reason this toolpath was faster is the size of the pocket. Mastercam said the dynamic should have been faster but the pocket was not large enough for the dynamic toolpath to get up to full speed. Too many small moves when going around the boundaries I had setup.

Although the surface rough pocket ran faster it didn't sound near as good with some full width passes and getting in to the corners, the spindle load meter was all over the place.

I think you have to pay attention to the geometry and pick the right spots to use dynamic mill. In this case it wouldn't really pay off.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Colin,

The only problem here is all of our endmills the flute length matches the diameter, so I would have to special order one. It is a lot different than how we normally machine around here. The max depth I could probably take with one of our 1/2" would be about ."45.

Thanks for the input everyone. As far as the video goes I would have liked to have seen it also. But there was no way I was going to open the door and stick my head in!

• 2 weeks later...