Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No multi-threading in 2D high speed?

left coast lefty

Do 2D paths take that long to generate??? :headscratch:

I was thinking the same thing until yesterday I saw another programmer here using solid faces for his 2D high speed operations. On his brand new computer it took about 5 mins to calculate. Had he chained a wireframe (lines, arc...) it would have regenerated in seconds.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I was thinking the same thing until yesterday I saw another programmer here using solid faces for his 2D high speed operations. On his brand new computer it took about 5 mins to calculate. Had he chained a wireframe (lines, arc...) it would have regenerated in seconds.

Good point. Because of the shapes I mainly deal with, solid faces don't work so well for chains. Thanks for educating me. :cheers:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Thanks for backing me up guys. My home build (i7) has no problem , but the cheap units at work take forever to generate. Can anyone suggest a way to speed this thing up? I just downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia per JP.

Thanks.

Core 2 Duo

E7300 @2.66 ghz

3 GB Ram

FX580 card

On my rig, my global presets are "3D App - Default GLobal Settings" in the NVidia COntrol Panel and my monitor(s) are set at their native resolution(s).

On my sysyem properties, I set "Adjust for best performance" everywhwere I could. I run a SOlid State Drive so I do not have a pagefile. Everything runs in RAM. All the eye candy crap is off. Windows Classic view (yeah, boring I know, but function above fashion I always say.

In Mastercam I went with the classic black background, I colorblind anyway, but it takes less horsepower than the gradient. ON the ribon ba tool display, I have that set to no delay. Graphics SUpport is OpenGL only, you may need to play with the three other setings depending on your card. On the toolpaths tab ENable Mult threading is obviously on, I uncheck display surface plane intersections.

I think that's it... I'll have to think about it some more to se what else I've tuned up.

HTH

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

If your 2d dynamic toolpath is taking a while to crunch, simplify the geometry. A spline with many control points adds a lot of complexity.

1. use the CAD tools mastercam has to simplify a spline or break it into many arcs.

2. the best way is to create a 2d contour with no cutter comp or lead in/lead out. turn on the arc filter at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio so the toolpath contains mostly arcs. Then backplot the toolpath - save as geometry. Now you have some really nice simply geometry to create your 2d dynamic toolpath with and the calculation time will be significantly less. I've had a 2d dynamic core mill go from 15 minutes down to about 90 seconds by doing this. when you have multiple chains and all of them contain very dense splines the calculation time suffers.

HTH