Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling at an angle with c axis problem

wdg5555

I'm having alot of trouble trying to program the attached file. I'm programing it for a 4 axis lathe/mill. What i want to do is cut the angled slot with a 1/4 ball mill by plunging and then rotating the c axis.

Unfortunatly I've been programming these angled slots by hand which is a pain especially when the angled slots are a little more complicated.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Wouldn't let me upload a STEP file to the forums so i put it on the ftp server.

/solids/WATER GROOVE.STEP

Still havn't got a reply yet and i'm hoping someone will help me. I attached a jpeg of what i want to cut using the c axis. The red part is the angled groove that goes around the entire part. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Everything i try the tool paths very strangly around the part.

Thanks for any help.

post-24532-0-74422700-1302567785_thumb.jpg

why don't you use a face groove set at angle instead of a C-axis toolpath ?

That would work for this part but not for all the water grooves i have to cut.

Tried to do this using axis substitution but sadly was unable to get it to work right. I think I'm ready to accept defeat. Thanks for the help anyways.

Do you have multiaxis? or just level 3

I do have multiaxis. I was mainly trying to program it using a mill>contour toolpath(maybe it can't be done using that?). I poked around with the multiaxis stuff a bit but again wasn't succesful. And if its possible I always try to avoid using the 3d since it takes a bit more time to get it programmaed. And it is just a water groove, nothing critical about it.

it can be done with multi axis, i used 5 axis curve, creating a tool axis curve which the angle of the tool needs to be set at,

my post outputs x and c axis moves, it will depend on your post setup, how your output is?

i cannot attach anything or upload to the FTP site, our IT has everything tied down !!!