Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill 5 Axis....a rant

MIL-TFP-41

Why is it that through 5 major releases and 10 minor releases of X it STILL does not work with a 4 axis horizontal UNLESS you put things like an aggregate head in the machine def....or add another rotary axis? This one is getting old already.

Now can anyone tell me why they changed the location of tip comp in X5? Below is a screenshot of X4....

2412x43.jpg

Note how tip comp is right there, easy to find......

In X5 some idiot decided to move it to "Collision Control". Can someone PLEASE tell me what tip comp and collision control have to do with each other? Also, how come the installed default for breakthrough with drill 5 axis is set at 1/2 the value of pi? (Literally it is set at 1.570796....1/2 of pi) Maybe its an inside joke at CNC software, however, for us end users, it is annoying at best.

Below is a screenshot of the linking parameters page, fixed with my mad paint skills. Even with my custom changes, there is still alot of gray real estate left.

idrq4h.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking about @#$%^&* break thru who needs it at all ?- I never used it .

It is only one more chance to scrap a part thank you CNC software very much.

Can someone kindly explain when he use this function and how many times he happend to use it (once in the lifetime )?

Some nice button for someone who can not add 1+ 1 ?

I feel your pain man,

The multi-axis toolpaths have way way too many branches in the tree to deal with. Most people use multiple even large monitors now.

CNC should be consolidating parameters on fewer pages vs separating them to have to click more. They are going backwards if you ask me.

Can someone kindly explain when he use this function and how many times he happend to use it (once in the lifetime )?

I use it every days.

1) Blind holes: Dwg call up the hole depth to full dia. (shoulder of the hole). So we use it to calculate to the tip of

the drill

2) Thru holes: how far you pass the thickness from the full dia of the drill

• Like 1

I use it every day also for circle milling slotting any milling that goes even profiling the outside of a piece. It allows me to just chain the bottom edge which gives me my depth and adds the distance I specify to get the rad of my cutter pass the depth I need a straightwall on.

I am actually interested to see how it would work with tapered walls just 2 scarred to try it. But would save a lot of work especially when chaining tapered mills that I wan to break through past my model. instead of extending lines and rechaining the bottom of the model below the model.

It is only one more chance to scrap a part thank you CNC software very much.

Some nice button for someone who can not add 1+ 1 ?

But if they took it away, all the 6 yr. olds would be out of a job ;)

The multi-axis toolpaths have way way too many branches in the tree to deal with. Most people use multiple even large monitors now.

CNC should be consolidating parameters on fewer pages vs separating them to have to click more.

+1000000

way too many clicks to get thru the branches....

Tab style from X2 was the best IMO.

I use it every days.

1) Blind holes: Dwg call up the hole depth to full dia. (shoulder of the hole). So we use it to calculate to the tip of

the drill

+1 Also, when selecting the hole depth from a solid model, its going to pick the diameter depth, not the drill point depth which, when you set the break out to zero, gets ya right there

Agreed 1000% my Israeli friend. NEVER in my years have I used this "feature". The tip comp thing is kinda useful.....gets you close to the actual "point of the drill", however, putting the actual depth of the hole on an entirely separate page is gust plain stupid.

The problem I've had with the tip comp is that it stays active. If you don't need it on the next tool, like a new center drill for instance, you get it anyway. I've lost a couple of parts this way. I never use it anymore. If I need to figure out how much deeper I need to go to comp for the tip I look at the amount on the tip comp page and add that amount to my drill depth. It's more work but I'm used to that from Mcam any more. I've been bitten by this "feature" too many times now.