Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Recommendations

Looking for a cnc knee mill. What are the best ones? Are their any made anywhere other than Taiwan?

CNC Vertical Machining Centers......40 x 20 x 20, 12000 RPM Spindle, Arm tool Changer, Thru tool coolant, 4th Axis capable. Dont want Haas, Fadal or similar. Dont need HIGH END, but would like US or Japan built. What would best 3 be. I know its all a matter of opinion.

Okuma Genos series mills. We have one in our showroom. It is built in Taiwan but in an Okuma owned and operated factory. The machine is based off the MB vertical series of mills. It is a bridge style though, which IMO is way better than a C frame. They are about 50% more than a Haas or other cheap mill with double the performance.

Check out Hyundai-Kia, we bought one of them to sit next to my Okuma.

VERY good machine and it was extremely well priced.

It's quality is just as good as my Okuma (yes I'm actually shocked), only difference is that it has a Fanuc control, I'm just partial to the Okuma control myself, once you have mid-auto-manual, it's hard to go back! lol

Impossible to give a good suggestion without a better idea of what you're doing. But if your work isn't overly demanding....even though you don't want to, just get a Haas Toolroom Mill and a Haas VMC and be done with it. Half as many new controls to learn, and a solid company from which you'll get good service and support.

Prototrak from southwestern ind. I can't believe there's an easier to use control on the market?

I ran the 2 and 3 axis mill from Southwestern Industries and they run fine.Very easy

to program "canned" ops at the control. The Route 66 mills are pretty neat also.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the new Hardinge GX series mills. I just recently bought one with the OSP200 control on it. Its a Hardinge GX1000 - all Hardinge components except the spindle, axis drives, ballscrews, motors, computer & electronics are Okuma. Basically the sheetmetal & casting are Hardinge. All the performance stuff is Okuma. A nice fit between entry CNC's & higher end CNC's.