Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Saw blade cutter comp

MN cut stone

I got issues... mostly just programming ones :blink:

I want to program using a 28" diameter saw blade to cut lineal stone profiles. I've mostly been using the first process as outlined below as our main machine was not very accurate in the Y axis (that's the cutting direction, horizontal and parallel to the blade). But now we've set up a new 3 axis saw and I'd like to be able to use the cutter comp in Mastercam X4 to effectively program more complex stuff.

On straight pieces (picture crown molding) I can use a endmill with the diameter of the saw kerf and the comp is fine... its all lineal passes in the Y axis with an X and a Z move between every pass.

BUT... when the same profile has to go around a radius I get gouging in front and behind the blade. Picture holding the ends of the crown molding at the table and arching the middle up. The saw then runs lengthwise along the piece while following the surface up and down in Z. The greater the amount of arch then the worse the gouge gets. For example, if it was a 180 degree arch then at the point where the arch is vertical the cutter comp is only half of the saw kerf... and I need it to be half of the blade diameter.

Oh yeah, if its a flat arched surface I can define a 28" diameter ball end mill and that works.

I've been trying to use a huge slot mill and set the tool plane as right side. I can't seem to get the cutter comp to read the outer perimeter of the tool and it also seems like m-cam is applying the max stepover parameter in the x/z plane instead of x/y. Thats even though the cutter comp plane is set to top. Got all frustrated and tried about every plane combination possible under the surface finish parallel parameters-toolpath parameters tab. None seem to work.

Anyone have ideas?

Wes, I'm sorry you think my first response was "weak", perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Minnesota Cut Stone is a valid Mastercam customer. The reason I suggested they call their Reseller (ProtoTek Engineering) is that your Reseller should be your first point of contact. They are in the best position to help when it comes to toolpath issues like this.

It sounds like you need to program this using a Machine Definition with a Aggregate Head. What toolpath are you using to drive the motion? Are you driving surfaces? You should be able to use the Slot Mill tool, with or without a corner radius, with both Flowline and Surface Finish Parallel. I've done paths like this in the past using Parallel, but I had to set the Toolplane to Top, and the Construction Plane to Front or Side. The toolpath will use the Construction Plane as the "Slicing" plane (where the toolpath is compensated), and will output Coordinates relative to the Toolplane.

Because some of your surfaces are undercut (correct?) from the Top View, you also may need an entry/exit point move in your toolpath. You can use the "Direction" button to control the entry to and from the toolpath motion. I often use this feature in combination with "Reference Points" to control the toolpath entry and exit.

Wes, what exactly is "radial fit conflict"?

Colin, I tried messing with the direction button (tool path parameters/surface parameters tab) but didn't seem to have much luck with that. Also, where do I define reference points?

Forgot to mention that I tried to use an aggregate head... apparently it only works in Mastercam Router??? (I'm using an X4 mill package)

Heres the link to the mcx file I've been working with. Spose I shoulda added it in the first place. :rolleyes: It shows the closest I've managed to get.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24962051/HALEYS%20BALCONY%20CORNICE_FRONT_R1.MCX

Forget the screenshot, I want to see the setup!

^^^+10

You have got your hands full!!!

apparently it only works in Mastercam Router???

Well yes & no... see link below

help with aggregate

But now we've set up a new 3 axis saw

Colin was right, IMO you should have your reseller take a trip down and spend some time with you. With ANY new machine you should set up something with your reseller, problems or not, they will help..

If you really want to tackle this with just forum help, your going to have to be much more specific (1 step/problem at a time).

Minnesota,

There is a Zip to Go on the FTP "HALEYS BALCONY CORNICE_FRONT_CJEP.Z2G" I used a 3D wire toolpath that follows the surface geom very closely.

The zip to go is in a folder Mastercam_forum \ X4_files

MN cut stone, you can always contact us directly. I have quite a bit of experience doing these types of cuts. I'm sure you are familiar with Park Industries and their infinity machine with the 48" and larger saw blades. For some general info this is usually done with a swept 2d toolpath. you will need to make some minor modifications to the geometry as the swept 2d will only compensate to the tip or center of your blade and will not account for the blade thickness and the "upper" corner radius. It will compensate for the bottom corner radius correctly, or a full radius.

I downloaded your file and put a toolpath on it, contact me if you want me to send to you.

Regards,

Wes, I'm sorry you think my first response was "weak", perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Minnesota Cut Stone is a valid Mastercam customer. The reason I suggested they call their Reseller (ProtoTek Engineering) is that your Reseller should be your first point of contact. They are in the best position to help when it comes to toolpath issues like this.

Colin is spot on with this.

We've all had issues and such but people just getting started and needing the most basic stuff should really be relying on their resellers, this is what we're here for but you have to ask us.

Much of the noobie stuff is about lack of training and that is stuff that should be handled thru the reseller as it is after the sale type stuff.