Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam CPU usage with quad core CPU

Rotary Ninja

I was verifying a program when I got a message stating Mastercam X5 was using 99% of at least one CPU. When we opened the task manager we noticed Mastercam was using 100% of CPU2. The others were barely registering. Process affinity is set to use ALL Processors. Is there a way to force Mastercam to actually use the other processors?

I guess I should mention the PC I am using has the following specs...

Mastercam X5 MU1

Dell Optiplex 790

Intel Core i5 CPU running at 3.10 GHz

4GB memory

Windows 7 Professional

As of right now we are using the integrated graphics processor.

An integrated graphics processor is not recommended for use with the software.

Here are the minimum graphics requirements from the Mastercam.com website:

Graphics Configuration

* 256MB OpenGL-compatible graphics card (minimum)

* Professional-level graphics card designed for CAD/CAM applications required, NVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro series recommended

* Integrated graphics controllers are not supported

* 1280 x 1024 pixel resolution (minimum)

* Full hardware acceleration display setting is recommended

If your looking for a specific card do a search here on the forum for graphics cards (the subject has been discussed from here till Tues)

yes,....

It is going to depend on the toolpaths you're running, the more information associated to the toolpath the longer it will take Verify to regenerate. A simple contour or drilling toolpath should verify rather quickly, a surfacing toolpath is going to take a bit longer, the highspeed toolpaths verify the slowest. If I write a pocket routine with a morph spiral it will take longer to verify than if the method was parallel spiral.

Verify is heavily graphics dependent, "hog tying" it with an integrated graphics chip makes it work harder. I've seen instances were trying to run Verify has actually closed Mcam down, crashing the program.

I really haven't noticed anyone having a problem with a so-called 'gaming' cards and mastercam. Doing some quick googling reveals a few features that quaddro has through separate driver features, things like different anti-aliasing and lighting support both of which aren't of much consequence to using mastercam. There can be different memory and hardware tweaks but you pay a premium

On the same token my Quaddro card also works great for gaming :)

I have an old Dell Precision M90 with a Quadro FX1500 GPU. It did fine with Mastercam X3. It also played games well too at the time. I didn't even realize the Quadro's were the professional cards. So if the budget for a new video card is $200, what one would you recommend? Yeah, that's being extremely cheap. My only other option is to buy the card myself.

I have an old Dell Precision M90 with a Quadro FX1500 GPU. It did fine with Mastercam X3. It also played games well too at the time. I didn't even realize the Quadro's were the professional cards. So if the budget for a new video card is $200, what one would you recommend? Yeah, that's being extremely cheap. My only other option is to buy the card myself.

NVIDIA QUADRO 600