Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

bad surfaces

HEAVY METAL

Hello

I put a part file on the ftp called "bad surfaces" I am trying to remodel the surfaces with gaps . Mainly the fillets on top of part and opening of pocket. I've tried swept and ruled surface and it is not working for me. This is the first time I've had surfaces bad enough I think it is affecting the surface toolpaths so I have had little experience repairing or creating better ones from the curves or wire frame. I hope some one has a few suggestions if they have time to take a look.

Thanks HEavy

In the McamX release "Net Surface" replaced "Coons Patch" the advantage to net surface is that the direction and the order of the chains doesn't matter, were as with coons patch the chains had to be picked in a specific order and the direction had to be the same for each set of chains.

Some folks wanted access to the coons patch utility in the McamX version so it was put back in as a c-hook.

if it's from pro-e, search for related discussions. I think Murlin is the expert on these things and has explained many issues i've had when importing pro-files. It has something to do with the tolerance settings in pro-e when the file was created.

I will try a rough explanation, as i understand it. The tolerances in pro-e can be set very loosely and create surfaces/solids that aren't "accurate" by fudging the math to mesh them. When you import them to MCAM, the imperfections get ugly and don't mesh. I think pro-e lets some engineers get sloppy when creating solids/surfaces and the tolerances in mastercam won't let you bring in "crap" very well.

That's what i get, anyhow.

Buy the way Moldplus's trim editor fix's gaps in surfaces nicely. I had played with the file yesterday and could fix the gaps. But I also had my Chord height set to .0001 this mad it nicer but when I set it back those were really bad .

But as I was saying look into moldplus for great surface tools.

How much is moldplus?