Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

to 4 axis gurus

mig

Please check the countour radius to see if a saw work or not.

Saw not the option . I have to use 4 axis .

So far i going only positional. Lock the angle and machine as 3d .

Just thinking have to do it by using rotary . Cutter is bull nose 0.375 dia x 0.03 rad

Saw not the option . I have to use 4 axis .

So far i going only positional. Lock the angle and machine as 3d .

Just thinking have to do it by using rotary . Cutter is bull nose 0.375 dia x 0.03 rad

Try surface finish flowline. This tool path works well for me. You can even step down if you need to.

I dont think the bull endmill can generate the "flat" surface by rotating.

Not exactly but you can approach it closely... and this can be good enough (see machining tolerances). Anyway you will need a 5axis toolpath (used in 4axis) to be able to add a front angle to the tool. Curve5x or advanced5x would be my choice (to avoid saw operation which would be the way to go but, here, will probably require a 2nd operation).

I'll try to post an example later

What's the distance from the highest point on the ear to the lowest on the point on the surface you need to machine? What I've had great success with in doing this type stuff is Harvey Tools line of long reach miniature endmills (page 34 in their 9/2010 catalog). I would rough out as much as possible with a standard endmill (smaller the better), then go in with an 1/8" ballnose and go right up to and finish the sides of the ears, then use an extended reach ballnose and just gently machine the extra stock from the corners. If your 3/8 e.m. is close to the same as the width of the slot you're not going to get a great profile but like David said you can get close. My idea would get you as close to a true profile as the accuracy of the machine, but you may not have those tools on hand.

Good luck.

Here are 4x examples using curve5x and advanced multiaxis toolpaths.

You can download .MCX file here (couldn't upload on FTP)

Hope this helps

4X.jpg

David,

So your just rotating the 4th simultaneously to keep only the leading edge only on the work, right? That , with a bigger tool dia. and smaller stepover should be pretty darn close, i would think. chances are it's just clearance anyway.

David,

So your just rotating the 4th simultaneously to keep only the leading edge only on the work, right? That , with a bigger tool dia. and smaller stepover should be pretty darn close, i would think. chances are it's just clearance anyway.

Yes it is. Floor won't be perfectly flat (or round...) but walls are the important stuff. I already had success on this kind of work.