Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

relocating machined jaws

Sbarner

So occasionally I get into a job where I think machining a set of aluminum jaws to hold in a Kurt vise would be ideal. But the next time I do the job, I have to fart around with indicating the jaws back in, then start cussing when I tighten down the bolt holding them in and they move like .01". Do you guys have a way where one could overcome the alignment fairly quickly and accurately? I saw Kurt makes some ones where you can put dowel pins in the jaws to achieve angles that you want, so I may look into that. I was also thinking of some backing plate to go behind the machinable jaws where I could use a dowel pin or something to align the sets together. Thanks.

When I made / installed jaws I would always use the same screws (kept em with the jaws), and push in the same direction as I tightened them (always down to the right). Skim cuts could help get the tops and sides back in line, but wont help if the inside of the jaws had a contour to them. My method would never put me out more than .003....

But there is no substitute for dowel pins...

Back when I had a shop, I took all the vices apart and milled and reamed holes to receive bullet pins in both the solid and movable body. All softjaws had the same hole pattern. Worked well.

+1 keys or dowels will speed it up

if you don't do anything else try spherical or hardened washers if they fit. Your just digging into the soft jaw everytime you tighten.....and profanity follows :lol:

Back when I had a shop, I took all the vices apart and milled and reamed holes to receive bullet pins in both the solid and movable body. All softjaws had the same hole pattern. Worked well.

we used that same way at our shop and ive tried other ways but have found a dowel pinned vice and vice jaws are the best most fastest way to get it done

+1 keys or dowels will speed it up

if you don't do anything else try spherical or hardened washers if they fit. Your just digging into the soft jaw everytime you tighten.....and profanity follows :lol:

Perhaps you could explain the hardened washer. Do you mean a washer between the head of the cap screw and the counterbore of the jaw?

Perhaps you could explain the hardened washer. Do you mean a washer between the head of the cap screw and the counterbore of the jaw?

Yup......or the spherical washer like Kieth shows ^. Just a quick fix to help stop the jaw from moving when you tighten.Probably have to barber the washer o.d. Everytime you tighten , it puts a new gouge in the jaw and eventually gets mushroomed and ugly. I'm sure you've seen it before.... ;) But I would do the dowels when time allows...if that ever happens :blink::)

This what i do for soft jaws. custom made shoulder bolts and t-slot jaws

Snap Jaws ;) I'm pretty sure they sell em soft too.......might be cheaper. I was a guinea pig for those things when they came out in the late 80's/early 90's.

They have em with the parallels built in at all different heights.