Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fix the current software before creating new?

Izzzy

Is buying Gibbs an option? I haven't seen a bug yet in over a year of using it. Jes sayin. :blink:

For mill/turn I have.

Id love to see MC get better in this area. Especially seeing what others are doing with it.

PEACE :D

Navigation on a belt, chain, or surface when chaining profiles is very common in most cam software packages. You pick one face and then just choose to follow, tangent, perp, or automatic walls. The ability to pick a face and ignore the chamfers when profiling is a very nice feature. We don’t have solids here so we have to create the chain and use it at the proper depth or move it up and adjust the tool. From the sound of it, mastercam is heading in the right direction with the new stl handling. I’m just not sure how far away they are from being a true solid based cam system that clearly defines the part, the stock and all fixtureing.

Scott, I'll check into the file merge error "no matching opfile" if I remember right, that error is usually tied to using an an updated config file in X5. Have you tried a default config file?

As for any other issue, all we can do is show them what and why it needs changing, regardless how many times it has or hasn't been sent in.

regards,

If this is what I think it is, where you get no matching op file importing one solid part into another, it's been a bug ( can't find bug number) for a while. It is related to groups. Clear the groups in the file you are importing, then go Into the other file and import it.

I believe it was at least a year ago I turned that in.

If you clear the groups, it works every time without the missing op file error and clean solids.

But that is a work around. Not a bug fix.

• Like 1

If this is what I think it is, where you get no matching op file importing one solid part into another, it's been a bug ( can't find bug number) for a while. It is related to groups. Clear the groups in the file you are importing, then go Into the other file and imprt it.

I believe it was at least a year ago I turned that in.

If you clear the groups, it works every time without the missing op file error and. Lean solids.

But that is a work around. Not a bug fix.

This one was troubling one of the programmers here for a while. cnc was quick to point it out and he now deletes all groups before import / merge and hasnt had any trouble. work around.............but good to know.

But just because I know what you are talking about doesn't mean the developers do, we need to get examples to mastercam for anything to change, period.

And therein lies the problem with just about every software engineer out there, not just the MC ones either. I doubt very highly if any of them have any actual practical experience using the very software that they created, so how can anyone truly expect them to fix any problems that the real users experience? I figured out long ago, using other packages, that if by some miracle a bug gets fixed, it was probably done by accident.

• Like 1

And therein lies the problem with just about every software engineer out there, not just the MC ones either. I doubt very highly if any of them have any actual practical experience using the very software that they created, so how can anyone truly expect them to fix any problems that the real users experience? I figured out long ago, using other packages, that if by some miracle a bug gets fixed, it was probably done by accident.

I can't speak for all of them but I know a couple cnc software programmers that are incredible mastercam users and have been in shops helping people for many years.

• Like 1

I can't speak for all of them but I know a couple cnc software programmers that are incredible mastercam users and have been in shops helping people for many years.

Well then they are a a rare minority, because I haven't meet one yet in 15 years.

• Like 1
Our maintenance is up to date!

Same here, and I found that using this forum only works as a vent.

CNC would rather you contact them but only if you have a file or procedure to show a bug.

That way if a certain percentage has these issues then it is worthy of being

fixed for MU updates or major releases. At least that is how I perceive it.

And therein lies the problem with just about every software engineer out there, not just the MC ones either. I doubt very highly if any of them have any actual practical experience using the very software that they created,

Years ago this was not the case. I have been in this trade all my life and when I first got a hold of Mastercam, it seemed to just fall into my line of thinking.

Now every new function is so foriegn, it takes forever to figure out the logic without putting in a bunch of trial and error or training.

By design and intended to be this way? Or just not enough input from machinists? All the Beta testers are pretty dam good so search meh.

PTC tried this logic and it worked good for them for years....7k 2 week training course was the norm back then...

Now, everwhere you go to buy candles, everyone asks if you need any whicks when ya get ready to leave..... :blink:

Well then they are a a rare minority, because I haven't meet one yet in 15 years.

Hum did not remember seeing you at the Mastercam reseller conference this year talking to them and meeting the group. Me I did and yes a lot of them have come up through the shop and been in the industry for many years. Some have not as with Verisurf we have great developers and great Application engineers who work hand and hand to make the best product possible. Funny people want all these amazing things from a software yet did you go to college to be a computer programmer so you could make your own CAM software? You may not know who I am or what I did on this forum for years, but I have been a strong person about things needing to be better. CNC software gets it and they want to make change. Some thing take time and some things are quick. Have they been slow on Mill/Turn they admit that, but what is coming is very promising and has had a lot of thought and work put into it. Right now over 30 people are working on the Mill/Turn at CNC software. I know most of them personally and can say it is good hands. If I were still doing it daily would I say it needs work as of right now yes, but what is coming will make all the wait worth it. Being vocal on the forum when done in a way to engage and provide feedback gets attention and people listen. Getting in the forum and whining like a baby and making threats to someone lively hood does not get you anywhere. Believe it or not all the people at CNC software have families and work for a living and coming on here and pretty telling them you are trying to starve them does not win them over.

Crazy^Millman off the box and back to hole.

• Like 2

SLOW!?!?!? Come ON, Ron; do you want me to dig out your posts from the past on mill / turn? I've been hearing the "it'll be worth the wait" story on this since 2002, man.

I am not trying to say "CNC Software sucks" or "Mastercam sucks" but I am trying to stem the knee-jerk "you're just a troll because sunshine shoots out of CNC's a$$" attitude that is typical here.

Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years

C

I am not trying to say "CNC Software sucks" or "Mastercam sucks" but I am trying to stem the knee-jerk "you're just a troll because sunshine shoots out of CNC's a$$" attitude that is typical here

chris if that was always the case I would've just deleted the thread ;)

I wanted to hear more of what Scott was talking about specifically, and he explained further. If he did that in the first post that would've made more sense.

Also when someone's very first post on the forum is a big slam, vs. someone like you who has been posting for years - it comes as a little less weighted. Not saying its less important, just easier to get on the jump-to-conclusions-mat and think that it might be a new user who didn't know how to use something vs. something that's broken.

I swore at Mastercam up and down this morning before I realized something right in front of me which was NOT broken, haha...*click* *relief* *post*

• Like 1

Chris you can dig them out and like I said right now it is not a great product for Mill/Turn, but what is coming is something everyone is waiting for. I was more addressing the comment about them people doing the work than Mastercam's ability to do tasks. I could easily get started about syncing, Material support for Milling tools and other things. I however being on this side of the fence can say going on a forum and screaming how much something sucks while it feels good when you do it, really can do more damage than good. Call me a traitor if you want, but I am at a place where I can see both sides of the argument.

I know where sunshine comes from and fielded my share of upset Mastercam people at the shows. Does Mastercam's short comings mean all the employees at CNC software are no good? I am on this side of the job and developing software is not an easy job and trying to manager customer expectations and still make a top notch product is not a walk in the park. I can say I have personally talked to a lot of these people and see their frustrations and care for making the product better. Making them all to be bad people might not be fair again I might be the kettle calling the pot black here, but meeting and talking to people personally can make you rethink things.

Ron, I don't think you're a traitor, but you are talking out of both sides of your mouth a little. I don't think that CNC Software are bad people (or I wouldn't do business with them) and I don't think that they're bad programmers, but I couldn't care less how hard they're working if it doesn't pay dividends for ME. It feels like the multi-axis milling guys have gotten all of the enhancements and the turning / mill-turn guys have gotten zilch. This is not a new complaint by me, and is not unwarranted; the world is going multi-function and mill/turn, time for CNC Software to take it up a notch.

C