Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Educate Me On Predator Software Suite

Rekd™

We've got a fairly large operation here, 60+ HAAS' with plans to expand. Today I caught the tail end of a presentation for Predator Software Suite. The reporting aspect of it looks good, but what else can it do? Is it worth it?

Are there alternatives or is this the bomb?

I'd like to look at all possibilities before we pull the trigger and you guys are the best in the business so I value your opinions.

Thanks

What are you looking for? A DNC system, or more than that?

Cimco have a suite as well. I've just installed a Cimco DNC Max setup (albeit a small one to only four machines), but the last place I was at had 26 machines connected to Cimco DNC Max. I really like the system, and it interfaces with NCBase, which is a database system for organising setup sheets, programmes etc. I'm sure it does reporting etc, but I've not looking into it.

Who's a good contact person for Cimco? (You can send via PM if you'd rather)

I am looking at this for one of our Southeast Asia facilities but they don't need to be in this area. The Predator demo we got was from a guy stateside using skype.

Thanks again for your time.

We only have Predator DNC and Predator Editor. From what I have figured out it is very functional, but there is absolutly no instructional manual on how to use the stuff and have gotten no support from predator, not to mention being lied to about the capabilities of Predator Editor before we were commited to it. So just beware if you go that way, make sure you work out a deal for some training and support.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Predator is badass. There's not much it doesn't do as far as machine monitoring. Shopfloor Automation's Support is phenominal.Shawn Dunne(IIRC) technical skills are the $#!+!!!.

If you are looking at other software that does machine monitoring as well, Refresh Your Memory. I've dealt with thos guys too and they are phenominal as well. John Hosman (IIRC) is the guy to talk to there, I can't recall his tech guy's name off the top of my head at the moment. When we do Open Houses, they set up their monitoring on our machines.

I'd look at both of those because DNC is just a small part of what they do. I'm not familiar with CIMCO's offering as far as machine monitoring. Their DNC is top shelf, but other than that I have no ideas.

I have used Predator Virtual CNC and service is non-existent. It is bad enough that I am considering throwing in the towel and buying Vericut. I don't know about the rest of their offerings but that has been my experience. Run a search on the forum and you will come across similar experiences.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

One of our customers is using cimco for machine monitoring. They have 5 mills and 3 lathes and it works very well.

It seemed costly to me though compared with a foreman who (should?) know's what's going on in his shop...

Can your foreman "on the fly" mind you tell you exactly how many hours the machine has been idle over the course of 2011? Or, how many hours the machine's feed rate override has not been at 100% over the course of a week/month/year? :whistle:

While it may be costly, it is certainly worth the cost in may instances, like when deciding a machine has outlived it's usefulness and needs to be replaced. This wil generate downdime reports with a couple mouseclicks.. While it's true a good foreman is extremely valuable, this software frees him up for the important stuff.

I have used Predator Virtual CNC and service is non-existent. It is bad enough that I am considering throwing in the towel and buying Vericut. I don't know about the rest of their offerings but that has been my experience. Run a search on the forum and you will come across similar experiences.

I own a copy of Predator VCNC and as Bob said, there is no service.

I let my maintenance go 5 or 6 years ago and recently enquired about renewing.

They sent me a quote for that and I asked for temp codes so I could check out the new release.

They never sent me temp codes and never followed up on the renewal quote --shrug--

For the price it's not bad software.. but you are totally on your own as far as support goes..

Shop Floor Automation dropped it from their line years ago for that reason.

Shopfloor Automation's Support is phenominal.Shawn Dunne(IIRC) technical skills are the $#!+!!!.

CNC Apps GUY I am sorry to inform you that Shawn Dunne an old friend of mine had passed before christmas Holidays sue to rapid cancer.

I had worked with him at the shows and customers and as you stated he was top notich in every way.

As a Predator rep for sevrail years and onwer and user the software is top notich. If any one is looking at the software and you want good support and answers contact Greg M at Shopfloor Automations (www.shopfloorautomations.com) you can contact him at 1-619-461-4000 ext: 1001 lst him Know I sent you. I am preaty sure this will help[ get you a discount.

Can your foreman "on the fly" mind you tell you exactly how many hours the machine has been idle over the course of 2011? Or, how many hours the machine's feed rate override has not been at 100% over the course of a week/month/year? :whistle:

While it may be costly, it is certainly worth the cost in may instances, like when deciding a machine has outlived it's usefulness and needs to be replaced. This wil generate downdime reports with a couple mouseclicks.. While it's true a good foreman is extremely valuable, this software frees him up for the important stuff.

Yeh I know you are 100% correct. I was just being facetious.

In this instance, they are a commerical shop that don't even bother measuring parts (believe me!) becuase they make their own product and it's high batch qty's of simple stuff (running 1000's at a time). They all know how long the cycles are (50 components per load), and the machine counts how many cycles are done at the end of the day.

So in their case it is easy.

For everyone else though doing 'real work', it would be a valuable thing. Breaking out 1st off time or changeover time etc would've been very valuable in the last place I worked.

doing good matt. on the road every weekend with wrestling or baseball. i am all for the mma thing. after this school year, my two youngest will begin. that time frame will give them a minimum of 3 years of wrestling as a base...i cant wait. if you start playing soccer, let me know. i am at the baseball fields(right behind the soccer fields) almost daily.

From the RYM websiteMy link

Fanuc FOCAS

FOCAS and FOCAS2 are communication protocols that allow the FactoryWiz to get to virtually any information inside the CNC. Newer i-series Fanuc controls with embedded usually have the FOCAS option. All 30/31/32i-series and all 0iD-series controllers have FOCAS or FOCAS2. Many Fanuc 16/18/21i B-series controllers have FOCAS, but not all. Older i-series controllers such as the 16/18/21i A-series controllers are less likely to have FOCAS. If your CNC supports FOCAS, this is the most comprehensive monitoring data source available at this time.

Is there a way to check to see if our Fanuc machines have FOCAS???