Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Going for training

Thoob

Hi guys, I will be going for a week of training this upcoming month. It will be for Mill Level 3 and Lathe toolpaths. I have been using Mastercam for almost 9 years now however I was only self taught so I'm without a doubt sure my ways are not the "proper" way, lol. I have been using basic surfacing, 2D, and lathe with no problems. My concern is being trained the right way and actually applying it over the way I am used to. Am I in for a big change when I go and what should I expect in terms of a learning curve? Any input on the course (those who have taken it) is appreciated. Thanks.

If you have self trained yourself over the last 9 years, then I doubt very much if you will reap much of a benefit by taking a course now. Obviously you have been doing something right for the past 9 years. Maybe you will learn something of the more advanced surfacing paths, but I am sure you could have figured them out on your own anyways.

...I doubt very much if you will reap much of a benefit by taking a course now.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, I've had guys in Mcam training that had been using the program since V7 that will regularly comment that I showed them something the didn't realize they could do. B)

Training is what you make of it.

Even when I'm teaching I find that I pick up different ways of doing things. Go in with an open mind Thoob and absorb everything you can. B)

I've been running this software for nearly 15 years...

I took three semesters of V5 at community college back in the stone age,

but have never had any training beyond that

I still learn stuff every time I go to a rollout event even though they are more sales pitch than training.

I would love an opportunity to go to an advanced 5 axis class

Ditto. I'm temped to go to cnc in Connecticut myself.

IMHO, anyone who isn't continually learning about mcam is well...xxx.

I started with v8, and now am a full time instructor at a college. I frequently am learning idiosyncrasies and unusual things from my STUDENTS (you see the weirdest things with new users). 10 people will program a part 10 different ways, and if anyone tells you their way is "correct" or "the best" is full of $hit. There is no way that is "the best". Every method has pluses and minus, and every thing is in need of continual improvement. Even ourselves. :)

wow what a soapbox I'm on :D

I have been teching for over 12 plus years. I get all the time from guys that I have been using for years and I am here to learn the new version. then I get wow that is great tool or option they added and I will have to tell them this has been in ther for the last 10 years or more. or as others state I didnt know mastercam could do that.

My favs are when they say I wish Mastercam could do this and I turn around and do it and say you wish it could do this.

Thoob you now have the right thought go with an open mind. I bet you walk out each day with at least 2 things you learned. PS it does help if you have a well knowladged instructor of the software.

Are you taking it at the dealer or a school?

PS it does help if you have a well knowladged instructor of the software.

Knowing the software isn't enough if you don't know how to manufacture.

Approach "can" be everything and teaching how to approach a job is every bit as important if you ask me

I have been teching for over 12 plus years. I get all the time from guys that I have been using for years and I am here to learn the new version. then I get wow that is great tool or option they added and I will have to tell them this has been in ther for the last 10 years or more. or as others state I didnt know mastercam could do that.

My favs are when they say I wish Mastercam could do this and I turn around and do it and say you wish it could do this.

Thoob you now have the right thought go with an open mind. I bet you walk out each day with at least 2 things you learned. PS it does help if you have a well knowladged instructor of the software.

Are you taking it at the dealer or a school?

I am taking it at the dealer. I hope it all goes well. The thing that most concerns me is failing the exam, lol. Thats my biggest fear. That has always been a concern when I do school.

• 1 month later...

I am taking it at the dealer. I hope it all goes well. The thing that most concerns me is failing the exam, lol. Thats my biggest fear. That has always been a concern when I do school.

But Mastercam isn't school. True it's learning, but we do this because it's excitng and cutting edge. What school subject can say that? Don't sweat the test, just learn as much as you can and embrace that no matter how long you use it you will never know it all..

I had one general training class in 2002. Since then I've trained myself enough to get into some cool multiaxis (4 axis rotary) stuff . Now its time for some 4 and 5 axis training to answer some questions . I'll be at Prism Eng. in Horsham, PA for 3 days next week. Can't wait!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you have self trained yourself over the last 9 years, then I doubt very much if you will reap much of a benefit by taking a course now. Obviously you have been doing something right for the past 9 years. Maybe you will learn something of the more advanced surfacing paths, but I am sure you could have figured them out on your own anyways.

Sorry Aero, I have to wholeheartedly disagree. When I taught Mastercam for 3 years, I had a LOT of students that had your opinion so I created a test to bypass the Beginning class. only about 5% passed the test. They failed miserably and would have done nothing but drag the Advanced Class down. I'm talking guys with 10+ years expereince. Guys had their egos bruised but I didn;t care. There's a reason Professional Baseball players still hit off the tee. Granted a lot of what he knows may be re-hash in the class, if it's taught properly he will no doubt benefit from it.

I have gone thru the same thing many times James you know that. I have guys that do complex parts and using for years that still show up once in while in my class as they say I alwas learn some thing new when I come to your class.Guys I still learn all the time this does go along with the software changing and I do not know everything and I have had 5 days of official class's in my years. oh and some over views at the dealers conferences. then there was my fav the Mastercamp just before X release when it was still in beta. does this count as the software released and was a huge difference from what we got.

Learn on

Well guys I completed it with no problems. I got the certificate and my score was 93%. lol. So relieved. Now as to me learning stuff, it was not too much than what I already knew granted there was some stuff I picked up which will help me down the road. My biggest learning curve was to determine what toolpath to use on specific surfaces. I am more aware now of what certain ones do so it makes my job that much easier. Thanks for all the responses guys, have a good day.

• 4 months later...

i attend "tech days" at barefoot whenever i get a chance. i use x6 every day but leave there with some new piece of knowlege every time. i agree with cncapps guy entirely about dragging the class down. i'm in a 5axis advanced class and can promise at least 80% of class has no buisiness in there. i believe all 2 of us that have some slightly more advanced knowledge could be much further along if there wasn't the need to cover so much mill level 1 stuff

• 4 weeks later...