Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Laptop

BrandonH

Thinking about an ASUS G74SX-A2. Does anyone have any exterience with the asus brand? I think the specs would be more that adequate. Looking for a thumbs up or down from the guru's.

Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM (4 cores / 8 threads) 2.0GHz, 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost

Graphics card: NVidia GTX 560M with 3GB of Dedicated GDDR5 VRAM

Memory: 16GB DDR3 (16GB Max)

Display: 17.3″ Full HD (1920×1080) LED backlit

Storage: 750GB 7200rpm HDD + 160GB SSD

Optical drive: BluRay Disk Combo

Connectivity: 1 USB 3.0 port/3 USB 2.0 ports, Bluetooth, 802.11BGN

Other: Illuminated Keyboard, Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)/, 2.0M Pixel webcam, 8 Cell battery, 8-in-1 card reader, Gaming Backpack and Gaming Mouse, 2YR Global warranty, 1YR Accidental Damage Warranty, 30-Day Zero Bright Dot

I have an Azus lowball gaming machine that has servered me well for a couple of years

It's got a 1 gig Nvidia gaming card and does a good job running Mastercam.

My current laptop is a Dell M4600.. with an i7 proccessor a Quadro video card

12 meg of memory and an SSD hard drive... $900 out the door at Dell refurb

(with a 25% discount coupon)

Thinking about an ASUS G74SX-A2. Does anyone have any exterience with the asus brand? I think the specs would be more that adequate. Looking for a thumbs up or down from the guru's.

Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM (4 cores / 8 threads) 2.0GHz, 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost

Graphics card: NVidia GTX 560M with 3GB of Dedicated GDDR5 VRAM

Memory: 16GB DDR3 (16GB Max)

Display: 17.3″ Full HD (1920×1080) LED backlit

Storage: 750GB 7200rpm HDD + 160GB SSD

Optical drive: BluRay Disk Combo

Connectivity: 1 USB 3.0 port/3 USB 2.0 ports, Bluetooth, 802.11BGN

Other: Illuminated Keyboard, Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)/, 2.0M Pixel webcam, 8 Cell battery, 8-in-1 card reader, Gaming Backpack and Gaming Mouse, 2YR Global warranty, 1YR Accidental Damage Warranty, 30-Day Zero Bright Dot

Just got one :G74SX-AH71. I love it

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up with a Dell M6600 from the outlet. I forgot to mention that I also run catia. Our full time cad guy said I needed a quadro card for catia. So taht was a deal breaker. Shrug.

I think I did OK with the 6600 though. :thumbsup:

LOL I've been on this fourm too long.

I read that Brandon bought a Dell refurb last night.... and when I saw that Jeff was the last post on this fourm

I knew it would be a Dell bash before I even opened it. :rolleyes:

You can bash Dell all you like, but I've been buying them from the refurb store for a decade now

I have made some very good deals and have never purchased a bad machine.

I can't speak to Dell's customer service. I've never had to call them.

To each is own. :)

• Like 1

Let the Dell bashing begin, LOL

+1 on the

Overpriced garbage

I purchased a laptop from the outlet a few years back thinking I was getting a deal. Did'nt buy the extended warranty becuase I figured I'd be covered by the manufactures warranty. Well, right around the time the 30Day warranty ran out I started having issues with the hinges ( a common problem on Dell laptops from what I now understand) loud crunching and cracking noise every time I opend it. A few months later my hard drive just died, yet a few months after that my LED backlit went out.

Garbage in my book.

I've also used Dell desk top with alot of issues and just overall crappy performance.

I have had to call them on several occasions and always with bad results. The person on the other side of the line seems to be as clueless about my issues as I am.

The troubleshoot reading out of the same troubleshooting manual that comes with the computer, word for word. :wallbash: can't tell you how :censored: frustrating that is.

My 2¢

How about a forum for computer hardware, so people can post their experiences with different brands and components.

Or would that just turn into "your _____ sux, and my ____ is the best."

No, it would turn in to a "Buy the super overpriced Solidboxx brand" forum lol

I already proved those setups are too much money in the benchmark thread thumbsup.gif

LOL I've been on this fourm too long.

I read that Brandon bought a Dell refurb last night.... and when I saw that Jeff was the last post on this fourm

I knew it would be a Dell bash before I even opened it. :rolleyes:

You can bash Dell all you like, but I've been buying them from the refurb store for a decade now

I have made some very good deals and have never purchased a bad machine.

To each is own. :)

I've had 2 Dell's, but many years ago, and never again.

The main reason I dislike Dell is because their builds leave no room for flexibility, meaning if I want to add a bigger video card down the road I'm probably hosed because of the 250w power supply is running at 95% capacity.

or I can't add more RAM... etc... and the price versus building your own is not worth it in my opinion.

Are they good machines? Yes, but not the best bang for the buck.

The best bang for the buck on a pre-built machine is CyberPowerPC, my shop has bought their 7th one, and never had an issue so far.

They offer both gaming and workstation PC's.

I already proved those setups are too much money in the benchmark thread

Jeff, I build my own too and I agree BUT........

Most people don't have the time, knowledge or ability to tinker, they JUST need it to run.

Companies like Dell, Solidbox and us as a Reseller, fit that niche

In a big company, they don't want people tinkering with computers.

They want people doing what they are paid to do.

My current employeer used to have his IT people build the Cad/Cam machines

and they really didn't know what was required.

They spent a lot of money for minimal results. Now we buy Solidbox.

We have 5 of them now, and have yet to suffer any downtime.

I have no doubt I could build better machines for less money, but I don't have the time.

On a personal basis, Solidbox is way too pricey for me. At home, I buy Dell refurbs then upgrade them

as time and money allow.

Jeff, I build my own too and I agree BUT........

Most people don't have the time, knowledge or ability to tinker, they JUST need it to run.

Companies like Dell, Solidbox and us as a Reseller, fit that niche

My pc that is faster than the solidboxx pc'c in the benchmark thread was from CyberpowerPC, I didn't build it ,they did thumbsup.gif

1/3 of the price and a faster benchmark time... I'll take that any day of the week.

and yes, there is a warranty lol.

The only ones I build are my home pc's, for work we buy pre-built.