Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 things i'd like to change about the operations manager

All,

What 5 things would you most like to change about the Operations Manager?

I have culled through almost 300 entries in the QC log, both requests and bugs and have come up with a body of things to consider for X. At the same time you may be sitting there waiting for me to ask if you have any good ideas.

So here is your chance...

Reply here and give me 5 things that you think the Operations Manager most needs.

( We are already planning to let the Operations and Solids Manager be up on the screen all of the time if the user wishes. That should save a lot of people one of their wishes)

Do it by Wednesday, or just do it now so you don't forget. I am hoping to see if there are any ideas we have not already heard, be revolutionary!

Thanks,

Ken Erman - PM Guy CNC Software.

1)Better handling of drill points: delete all drill points, ability to reorder points like chains, ability to insert points inbetween other points not just at the end of the point list.

2)Ability to run scripts and chooks on operations from within operation manager.

3)A matrix, excel like interface.

4)The ability to sort/unsort operations. ie operation 1,2,3,4 -> sort by tool # -> 2,3,4,1

unsort 1,2,3,4. Sort by creation order doesn't do it since not all operation are created in a specific order.

5) Key assignment to set current operation for edit common operations. Like being able to hit G to set the current group.

Bryan smile.gif

I know there's only supposed to be 5 but...

6) Sub groups.

[ 07-21-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: bryan314 ]

I thinke Keith's idea of a save button is great. I am from the old school of thought that you save early and save often. I personnaly save my file every couple of toolpaths. If it was a "button" rihgt in the Oper.Mang. would save a coulpe of keystrokes.

Maybe a copy/paste feature, rather than the drag and drop of current. Alot of times I right mouse click and hold to copy a toolpath, and upon realese of the button, I get nothin and have to do it again.

cheers.gif

You guys need to take into consideration that the Ops Manager WILL NO LONGER BE MODAL!! This means you can access all other parts of MC WHILE IT'S STILL OPEN. Don't waste your 5 changes on things that are already being delt with..

'Rekd teh Lets take it from the top....

Marc...thats a windows api feature....hopefully to come out with X when they update the interface....

personally I'd love to be able to create two entirely sperate toolpaths...with seperate setup sheets for multiple operations...I know its possible with changing the post location...but the window becomes really messy with tons of tools that don't coexist in both operations....this would allow me to make a part entirely from one file rather than having four copies of the model in four files to generate the four different operations...

but I really do appreciate the makers of mastercam using its users to drive the next generation of its software....my hats off to you guys...

KCollins, besides the setup sheet thought. I program one model all the time it has been a long while sense I have had more then one file to program a hole part including fixtures.

I should say the fixture are on diffrent levels.

The Setup sheet being able to post out per a group would be nice.So when we out put a set of programs I can have easy sep setup sheets per a group.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

1) Unlimited Sub Groups

2) More consistent drag and drop.

3) Doc File Opslist configuration capability.

4) Tell me what Post is active somewhere.

5) I'll get back to you soon...

Keep in mind I am still using 8.1.1, so this might already be done:

I would like to set up each group in the operations manager with different settings as far as tool plane, construction plane, and every operation under the group automatically inherits those settings. I have had issues in the past when copying and pasting for machining different sides of a part, and not changing the tool plane/construction plane properly, either forgetting, or just missing one or two ops.

1. Nested Op. Groups with ability to Collapse, Lock (etc.) All child groups.

2. Option to have drag and drop ops inherit nci destination of parent op. by default.

3. Small Customizable area where users can add a few of their own buttons in addition to the existing ones to take them to frequently used functions.

4. Link to tools manager (without going through job setup) and

5. In Parameters page (is this beyond the ops manager ? … oh well) It would be nice if the tools field had the option of displaying a list format with small icons that allowed display of more tools with out scrolling kind of like windows file display options.

[ 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

1: A spreadsheet / excel / matrix interface.

2: An 'edit common parameters' that works correctly and completely.

3: Have Mastercam accessible while the dialog box is open - yea - what rekd said!

4: Generate a setup sheet based on the actual operations and tools, not the nci file. Give us a place to save other information about the job (part number, revision, setup verbiage) that can be included on the setup sheet. (think SmartCam's Job Plan)

5: Sort tools by operation usage so I can re-number them easier. Don't have the tools rearrange themselves when I'm re-numbering them.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

5)

quote:

I would like to set up each group in the operations manager with different settings as far as tool plane, construction plane, and every operation under the group automatically inherits those settings.

But we should also be able to override this if necessary.

+1000 on this one!!! Good one Matthew.

+ 1 Matthew

quote:

I would like to set up each group in the operations manager with different settings as far as tool plane, construction plane, and every operation under the group automatically inherits those settings. I have had issues in the past when copying and pasting for machining different sides of a part, and not changing the tool plane/construction plane properly, either forgetting, or just missing one or two ops.

While posting the group, i would like my NC file to default to the group name.

I understand the ability is there (in some manner)and I know that even with a little bit of work that you could get a proper setup sheet. But when we make two different operations with entirely different tools (80-120 in the case of some engine blocks), it just gets way too messy and confusing...even with a smaller number of tools I still find it confusing....I've tried using the head number in the tool parameters to define this but to no avail...or at least an efficient and easy to understand way anyway...

Ken,

This is a great thing that you are doing, listening to the voice of the customer is key in today's market place.

Here is my suggestions for your market survey.

1) Ability to sort tool paths, drag, drop and reorder like elements in a spreadsheet. To build on Kathy's suggestion, I would consider a column layout with the ability to sort by any of the columns. This type of a layout would reduce the number of clicks to reorder the toolpaths. Keep all the elements of the toolpath on the same line (row) instead of opening a toolpath and having the data within - run across the line like in WinExplorer and have the columns resizable so that the user can see what they need to. I don't much care to know the path of the NCI file so I would resize that column down to almost nothing. A row would also require the mobility to move anywhere in the ops manager - Drag and Drop...

2) Move the force tool change from the NCI tab onto the parameters tab or somewhere more convienient.

3) Redo the "Manual" entry tool path so that I insert Op. Stop commands indepandant of a tool path (instead of using the canned text within the tool path). Add in some User Definable fields so that control of Miscellaneous equipment can be driven from this dialogue box as well. Comments are needed inside this feature and a "GCode" Preview window would be cool as well.

4) Put Jobsetup and other parameters on the main page, again reduce the number of clicks to get where you need to go. As an option, maybe the user could choose the functions on the dialogue box button bar. (Yes, I too miss the customizability of SmartCAM).

Multifunction machines are another consideration adn there should be an option there that allows some flexability.

This is all the free information that I am willing to provide, like post generation - a better marketing analysis will cost you some money. biggrin.gif

Thanks again Ken, Send a TShirt and we will call it even.

[ 07-21-2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]