Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Communicating with mills

The IS department is looking at giving me a different PC. I told them it needs an "A" drive and a serial port to talk with my mills. They pulled a nose and said this is outdated technology. My mills only have an RS232 port or a floppy drive. Does anyone have a way to update machines to use flash drives or some other way to transfer data to the mills?

The IS department is looking at giving me a different PC. I told them it needs an "A" drive and a serial port to talk with my mills. They pulled a nose and said this is outdated technology. My mills only have an RS232 port or a floppy drive. Does anyone have a way to update machines to use flash drives or some other way to transfer data to the mills?

LOL, send your IS guys a quote for a couple of Okuma mills with PC based network ready controls. When they see the price tag I bet they will find you a floppy drive and serial card pretty darn quickly.

I use Sabrent products for usb to rs232/db9

Awesome cross platform compatibility, I have used them to talk to CNC's, managed switches, managed power supplies, you name it. Plug and play in linux, I haven't tried it in 7 but it works with XP if you download a driver.

http://www.sabrent.com/category/cables/CB-RS232/

Cheap also, I forgot the model of the one I have but I believe it was less than 20 bucks. I haven't tried multiples but with USB hubs cheap I bet you could set up unlimited virtual com ports.

We use a either net cable connected to out network and right into the machine, we can see the files on our computer and drop and drag to transfer files form computer to machine. Only problem we've run into now is with Windows 7. Windows7 does not support the netbeui protocol so now I have my old xp computer sitting next to the new Win 7 and transfer from 7 to xp to machine. Does take much longer but it is a hassle.

We've tried setting up a virual computer on the win 7 but having been able to make it work, so until we do I'm stuck with the three way transfer.

Just right click on the shortcut or the exe file and select properties. Then select compatibility.

ScreenShot016.jpg

Are you saying to do this when installing Windows 7 from the disk, or can it be done with windows 7 installed? Plus you given me some hope this will work. BIG Thanks in advance

Well I did that and I'm not seeing what I need to in order to connect to the cnc. I tried remapping the drive to get a shred folder but it comes up the same 'windows cannot access \\cnc\quintax'

I have shared folders on old XP computer to \\cnc\quintax but can't from win 7

any ideas?

there is a recent thread about making netbeui work in virtual machine,

from memory, pretty much goto virtual machine settings, network driver = native, and disable tcp/ip in the virtual machines network manager (&install the netbeui drivers) and it will work. this is not the right way but it will work.

Nils - I don't know what control or OS your control runs, but I've ran across this before, does it look promising at all?

Sevenforums.com

Our controls run either Linux or Windows, so networking hasn't ever really been an issue for us, but I used to dabble quite a bit in networking in general. Gotta love equipment from before standardized/dominate protocols were established!

As was mentioned above, you may be able to get there by typing //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/quitax instead (the xxx is the IP address). If you can't find the IP address on the control (I may be able to help you if it's not a completely proprietary OS), then you can find it by the router. Log into your router and look at your DHCP client list, and it will show you what IPs it's assigned and to "whom." So as long as the control has TCP/IP, you can probably share that way as well.