Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC Setup

disciple

I recently started at a new shop that is still stuck in the '80s, no machines are networked. after 2-months I finally convinced them of the benefits. I haven't done any DNC setup myself but am aware of the need. I'm looking for any suggestions on software and setups that I may help in the planning stages before any purchases are made. I have contacted Predator, as they are the only one I've ever used, but that was many years ago.

We are settingp up 12 machines, 10 of them late '90s Mazaks and Okumas, but we are getting 2 new Mori Seikis and a pallet system.

Fire away with your suggestions so I don't seem so lost in the management meetings XD. One side note, we are a huge facility but we are primarily a welding/fab shop, wireless is not an option. Much appreciated.

Guest SAIPEM

Get Predator from Shop Floor Automations

http://shopfloorautomations.com/page/home

Some guys here have had good luck with Multi-DNC but I'm not a fan.

There hasn't been any real development on the product in years and they still don't do Mazatrol well at all.

FYI, Multi-DNC doesn't support anything but Serial Communication so FTP is out for them.

The new Mori-Seiki machines don't come standard with RS-232 Serial Ports

as they are already network ready when they come in.

If you need to use RS-232 make sure they specify the cost to get the serial ports installed.

Get Predator from Shop Floor Automations

http://shopfloorautomations.com/page/home

The new Mori-Seiki machines don't come standard with RS-232 Serial Ports

as they are already network ready when they come in.

If you need to use RS-232 make sure they specify the cost to get the serial ports installed.

Thanks for the info, I just sent contact info to SFA.. Predator is my first choice, but I'm wondering if there is anyone who does it just as well, for less.Also, with the Mori's being network ready, would we still need a DNC software to manage and transfer files, or would it just be Window$ based with something like Filezilla?

The Mori comes with Mori-Server. You can send files to the machine from your local computer or look at the network drive from the Mori.

For older machines I used Calmotions Lan Cards and had a lot of success. Basically you connect the cards to the network via ethernet, connect the cards right at the machine with a short RS3232 cable and then you'll see the machines as an FTP site on the network. Then the machines can send/receive or DNC right at the control.

It gets a little expensive but it's a good investment in my opinion and experience. I hate running RS232 cables everywhere. Ethernet is much easier....

http://www.calmotion.com/lancnc.html

It looks like they have a new product that will pull directly from the server. The LANCNC you have to dump the files onto the card and then you can get them at the machine, this new version sees a drive on the server. Nice!

http://www.calmotion.com/lanserver.html

Josh-

• Like 1

What I do is have an old computer by each machine, seriously. You can get a little SFF dell with XP and a flat monitor for a little over 100 bucks on ebay, or if you are like me pull a half dozen out of the closet. It doesn't take much to DNC, a pentium 3 will do just fine.

I use a copy of cimco lite I got from an old mastercam 8 install about 10 years ago.

I create a shared folder on any computer and put the programs in there. In this case I am using a network server but you could do it from your local computer.

I map a network drive to the shared folder on each of the machine computers.

Set cimco to hit the mapped network drive. You can DNC right out of there or load the prog into the controller if it is small enough.

No dragging and dropping. Make sure the old computer has a serial port, if not use a sabrent usb adapter.

It is the cheapest way I have found, I had a haas minimill, a mazak lathe and an old anilam crusader hooked up this way. You can do this wireless for just a little more money but my total investment on the entire network was less than 200 bucks.

I bought a lancnc-fad for the fadal we just bought, it sounds like the mori server the guys were talking about. Drag directly into the machine. I didn't have a good place to put another computer lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for the plug! We do offer the Predator Solution along with other products as well.

My understanding is Mori does provide a solution to network a machine and it's very simple. The only issue I have customers telling me about is "file control". If you open a directory to the machine, the operator can obviously pull the wrong file if the directory is not maintained. With DNC, you can have someone request a file from the control, it gets moved to the directory, if available (and approved) and then allows you to load via the network. Some places are very open, some need to control their files.

As for the LANCNC, we do have this option and it's sweet! Drop a network cable and place the device at the machine, drag and drop and control the files. The unit comes with 2GB of storage and can be upgraded to wireless if you dont want to run a network drop to the machine. For less than $500, its a great option and we give you a lifetime of support and docs on the machine setup. It requires no DNC software and you can Internet Explorer, Fire Fox or any FTP software to manage the files. An IP is assigned to each machine. Need more info; go here - http://shopfloorautomations.com/page/ethernet-hardware/

Other options, are to run a network cable to each machine and place a 1 port Ethernet to serial device at the machine. This leverages Ethernet cabling and reliability (vs RS232 limited distance) and provides and IP to COMM Port solution. Then you can use your Editor, DNC, or whatever solution you want to transfer. If you move the machine, plug in the network cable again and your back up and running. No more messy RS232 cables and nightmares.

JAMMAN idea was good too! Put a PC next to the control and just run a short serial cable. Done. Just be cautious of usb to serial adapters as not all are made the same. One dropped character from a bad unit wil cost you a part (customer visited their local Frys and got burned with the cheapo brand for $25 bucks!)

Feel free to ping me for more ideas....

Greg Mercurio

Shop Floor Automations

877-611-5825 Toll Free ext 1001

Hi Greg,

Thats why I always use sabrent. Linux and mac friendly also, I not only do machines but managed switches and other networking equipment. I do prefer direct serial whenever possible.

I'm sure your product is good and it comes highly recommended by many, but sometimes it is hard to convince a small company to take a big jump.

Jim

I've set up two DNC networks in two different companies. I used Cimco DNC Max, which I find REALLY good.

We were using Services For Automation (Stephen Biehl). They were really great to work with.

I've set up two DNC networks in two different companies. I used Cimco DNC Max, which I find REALLY good.

We were using Services For Automation (Stephen Biehl). They were really great to work with.

We're now Cimquest, Stephen is still with us and we still do Cimco

We're now Cimquest, Stephen is still with us and we still do Cimco

I had no idea you had a name change. Say hi to Stephen for me. He was a great help to me at the las tplace I worked at.

John, I still remember sitting in front of you at the post class (or was it the lathe class) at CNC Software after 2009 Resellers Conference John. I was the guy from New Zealand :)

Guest SAIPEM

I have used Multi-DNC and have had no problems, they do Ethernet and Wireless now. Here is the link

http://www.multi-dnc.com/products_MultiDNC.php

No, they don't do ethernet.

ALL Multi-DNC comms to the machine are made via Serial Communication.

They do not support standard Network FTP.

Ask them to FTP to a SIEMENS, Mori-MAPPS, FANUC or Haas.

They simply can't do it.

I spoke directly to them about this 2 weeks ago.

That Custom FTP Server option shown simply does not work.

Guest SAIPEM

Been using FTP with Multi-DNC here for years, also using rocket port serial and ethernet to serial without a single issue...

Acro,

Can you give me more specific info on Multi-DNC and FTP?

What machines and controls are you using? Are you hard-wired or wireless?

If I'm incorrect I want to make sure I'm not giving out bad information.

I spoke to them directly on this very issue and they told me they couldn't make Multi-DNC FTP work

for DMG w/SIEMENS or Mori's latest MAPPS. Neither of which come with serial ports as standard.

If it does work, that's great. I still don't like the product but if it works for you, it's all good. :thumbup:

Hopefully Spectrum could spend some time updating the software so it doesn't require Full Admin Rights

& Elevation to actually run the Client App on Windows 7 64-Bit.

Then maybe they could fix the server app so if you are running it in a Virtual environment it doesn't

drop all the connections after a day and require a server reboot.

Even the interface is essentially the same butt ugly one they've had since 1998.

:rant:

Guest SAIPEM

SAIPEM,

Do not have either machine that you want information for, I just wanted to state Multi-DNC does work with FTP after you stated they do not do ethernet... I agree with you that the interface is old and outdated but it does work and cost much less than many other products out there...

Acro,

Thanks for the information.

It's good to know that it IS available even in a limited fashion.