Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 ax post for 3 ax

JAMMAN

Newbeeee here.

So I get my un tweeked 5 axis fadal post, playing with a simple pocket and managed to post it out. I see all kinds of a and b axis stuff in the code, axis unlock... axis lock...

Do I need to get a 3 axis post for 3 axis or can I turn off the other 2 in the ops manager and post out a 3 axis prog with a 5 axis post?

Jim

Thank you but that's another thing I'm having problems with is machine def. I watched the vids, and I seem to be able to select machines from the "Machine Type" area but have never seen the part where you actually edit the definitions. How would I get there?

If you are doing 3X work woth the trunion off them machine, you would be better of

using a straight 3X post IMO

This is what my initial impression was but being new to X6 there might have been a massive shortcut I was not aware of as exhibit "A" shows. Looks like I don't have the options shown in exhibit "A" :)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yay "snipping tool"! Screen capture has been built in to gnome forever, exactly when did it make it to windows?

Alt+PrtSc will capture the active window or dialog box, Shift+PrtSc will capture everything you see. Been there since forever, or at least since I can remember and I got my first PC in the early-mid 80's.

:whistle:

:D

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

G's right though. You're better off using two different posts depending on what work you're doing. Using the rotary table go with 5-Ax, not using the rotary table go with the 3-Ax. Less confusing that way.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It's just like riding a bike, if you haven't done it for a long while it takes a bit to get your balance but before you know it you'll be doing what you know how to do. You know where to find help and that's the key.

:thumbsup:

I might just start a "stupid questions" thread since I have about 10 more.

The post is outputting prog no. 0, I can change it in edit but I don't see the place where you would assign a prog number. Was in the first page of the params in 9. This Fadal won't take prog zero. Or more than 8 characters in the prog name. Or underscores in the prog name.

Jamman,

Most 5X Post Processors do not read the Machine Definition settings, they are controlled by making edits to the PST file directly.

If you have operations already programmed and need to change the program number:

Select all the toolpath operations > Right-Click > Edit Selected Operations > Change Program #

Jamman,

Most 5X Post Processors do not read the Machine Definition settings, they are controlled by making edits to the PST file directly.

If you have operations already programmed and need to change the program number:

Select all the toolpath operations > Right-Click > Edit Selected Operations > Change Program #

I'm in X6 MU1 Sir

YES! THAT WORKED! Thank you

pheader$     	#Call before start of file                     	
     if wcs_mode <> two, # Yes, read 'mi1' to set 'wcs_mode'
       [
       if mi1$ = zero | mi1$ = one,  # Get Work Coordinate System mode setting
         wcs_mode = mi1$   # 'G92' output modes w/ 'G28' retracts
       else, wcs_mode = two   # 'E' fixture offset mode
       ]
     else, wcs_mode = two # 'E' fixture offset mode
     subout$ = 0
     #n$, *progno$, "(", sprogname$,")", e$
     n$, sprogname$, e$

note the last 2 lines above, you will need to comment out the second to last, and add the last.

you may want to remove the n$ on the last line.... if you need anything else just post it up...

Jamman before you go changing this is this what you want by that you are now locked to every program name be that number. I would think twice on how you are handling the naming of the programs.

As for the programming are you going to be programming 3 axis and 5 axis together for a part ? if so then you would want to use the same post of course this if you are programming for your Rotary on Rotary if you are just programming on a vise on the other side of the table use the other post.

Just some thoughts

I do appreciate all the help, I'll try it and look at the output, if it wasn't what I had in mind I'll just change it back.

Jay it's going to be either/or (either 3ax or 5 ax), never both at the same time as of right now in the master plan. I watched your video too, pretty cool stuff. Looks like you just breathe it dude :)

I'll just change it back.

Just make some notes (initials, date, maybe quick explanation) on the lines you alter, start the notes with a # and everyting behind it will not be read by the post.

Commenting out the line as I showed makes it easy to revert back.