Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tolernce call out

Jayson Kramer

Sorry, missed the "between the numbers" part of that..

I have a geometric tolerancing book that says that is an "Unequally disposed symbol".

Ive never seen that on a print in our shop. It looks like it means that you have a different tolerance above and below the surface. That is just an assumption. ;)

A new symbol, circle U, was added to profile tolerance. In the past, a design engineer wanting to specify an unequal profile tolerance on the drawing would draw a chain line in the applicable area. Two arrows were shown to displace the tolerance zone. In the new standard, the circle U symbol follows the toleranced value in the profile feature-control frame. This announces that an unequal tolerance is in effect.

Sorry, missed the "between the numbers" part of that..I have a geometric tolerancing book that says that is an "Unequally disposed symbol". Ive never seen that on a print in our shop. It looks like it means that you have a different tolerance above and below the surface. That is just an assumption. ;)

Thanks to Neurosis. Never seen that symbol either but that pic was pretty clear on it's explanation. May I ask what book you're using?

Thanks.

Well this is an Unequally Disposed Symbol.

We handle this very nicely with Verisurf. We give people the ability to use this geometric dimension in checking their parts.

Here is a link to a PDF we did as a tech tip.Linky:

Here is a link to a site we recommend for these types of question as well. Linky:

Thanks Ron this is for my customer that is a verisurf customer so I will for this to him.

Thanks for the link Ron, and to the explanations from everyone else.

In Ron's link, the right hand view is very explanatory (ASME 14.5). Do I asume this superceeds the left hand view (ASME 14.41)?

In a million years I would never have guessed what the U meant, without a drawing part view (as per ASME 14.5).